question

onelivesleft avatar image
onelivesleft asked

Multiple Values in Leaderboard

I have a couple of questions about leaderboards: 1) My primary scoring mechanism is a combination of Points and Time: The more Points a player has, the better they have done. If two players have the same number of points, then the one who has taken the least amount of Time will be ahead. As it stands I think you only support one score column per board? I think I can kludge this together anyway: either as a concatenated string or by making the Points negative and sorting ascending (i.e. instead of "10 Points" & "1m5s", I'd store "-10.0105". Ideally it would be nice to have two or more columns though. 2) I want to store additional information per score entry, hidden from the player. For instance, I want to know what route the player has taken through the level to get the score they have. This is a simple string, like "abcde" or "adceb". A hidden column on the leaderboard would be great. As it stands I don't know if I can do this. Are leaderboards usable without publishing them? If so I could maintain two leaderboards, one the user sees which just has the score as depicted above, but the other tracking a concatenated string of the same values, like "10.0105:abced". Leaving the latter leaderboard unpublished would mean only I could access it, yes? But this depends on the game client being able to update an unpublished board.
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Venkat@Amazon avatar image
Venkat@Amazon answered
Hi, Thank you for your post. Please find the answers for your questions 1) We can submit the score as long value only and we cannot submit the score as string. You can insert only single value in LeaderBoard. 2) Unpublished leader board would not work since only whitelisted entries would have access.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

noodlespenny avatar image
noodlespenny answered
Please consider adding functionality to the leaderboards API that would allow a second value to be submitted/retrieved along with the primary "score" value. I think a lot of game developers would appreciate a way to store more detailed data in the leaderboards that is not necessarily visible to the user. Even just having the ability to have hidden leaderboards would suffice. I would use this field to store more detailed information about leaderboard scores that I can display in-game but don't want to store in separate leaderboards.

Venkat@Amazon avatar image
Venkat@Amazon answered
Thank you for your feedback. We have forwarded your feedback/suggestion to the appropriate team.