question

Edgar F. Hilton avatar image
Edgar F. Hilton asked

Best way to handle trolls?

I recently posted an application in Amazon. Within days, somebody who had never purchased or even tried the application gave me a one star plus a very negative review, which is now skewing my star rating in Amazon. Have you ever had something similar? And if so, how did you handle the troll?
amazon appstore
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mr. D. W. Greenberg avatar image
Mr. D. W. Greenberg answered
I had something very similar happen. I complained to Amazon who would do absolutely nothing about it. All I could do was leave a comment on the review, which anyone else had to click on comments to even see. The negative review was so vindictive and defametory I suspected it was killing sales of my other apps. I had no choice but to remove the app with the offending review. And sure enough the sale of my other apps recovered. Amazon were very unhelpful and by far the worst app store I have ever dealt with when such incidents occur.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

StephenC@Amazon avatar image
StephenC@Amazon answered
The best way to handle the reviews is to post a response to them.

Edgar F. Hilton answered
[b]Nice![/b] This sounds like a great idea. The Trolls comments went live early after the first release of that software, and you can tell that immediately after, the sales slowed down. I tried responding to his comments, but I still see many that find his comments "helpful". His comments are not even accurate, and it's very frustrating.

Edgar F. Hilton answered
I have, in fact. But sadly, his comments have been read by others and they have clicked on the "I found this helpful", which to me means that some were considering purchasing my product, but were scared away after seeing his comments. His comments are not accurate, and they are not even based on first hand experience with the product. They are just simply hateful and misleading with no basis on the truth.

StephenC@Amazon answered
Note also that if you find review content inappropriate and think it should be removed from the Amazon.com site, click on the "REPORT ABUSE" link under the review. This information will be sent to appropriate Amazon.com team for consideration.

Brass Key Software avatar image
Brass Key Software answered
Thanks for unlocking this thread! This is a topic we developers have real concerns about, because it has a measurable effect on our sales. Which means it has an effect on Amazon's sales, as well. I think Amazon has an opportunity here for the Kindle Fire line to be even more successful, and for Amazon to become a great company for developers to deal with. This forum is a good start, but I hope you see it as a way for developers to communicate with each other, and not only as a way for us to communicate with you. It's very difficult to find a lot of specific information on developing and marketing for the Fire, and this should become the go-to place. When Google got complaints from developers in their then-Android Market developer forum, they responded by eliminating the forum! This is your chance to be better than that.

StephenC@Amazon answered
Thank you for the feedback, and I completely understand why this issue is important to developers. If you ever run into an issue like this, I would do the following: 1. Click the "report abuse" link under the review in question, 2. Follow up with a "contact us" that includes a link to the app, the details of the review in question. the "contact us" post will go directly to Amazon.com, where real people will look at it.

Edgar F. Hilton answered
Of course, Amazon will then draw the line somewhere as to what is considered bad behavior or not. How do we plead our case in case we don't end up agreeing with Amazon's assessment?

StephenC@Amazon answered
The best approach I know of is to talk directly with someone at Amazon.com, which you can do through the "contact us" page. Once in contact with customer support, you will be able to share specific information about your concern and seek resolution.