question

Gabriel S. Carter avatar image
Gabriel S. Carter asked

Unity game w/GameCircle - black screen on older OS's

I've integrated GameCircle into my Unity game and it seemingly works fine, at least on all the relatively newer devices I tested on. Submitted to Amazon and they reported that it launches straight to a black screen on Kindle Fire 1st/2nd gen (no splash) and eventually just times out with the message that the app is not responding. Though it works on all newer Kindle Fire devices and non-Kindle devices with new OS's (and GameCircle functions fine). I was able to reproduce this exact issue using an old HTC Evo 3D running Android 2.95. The app runs fine on that phone prior to integrating the GameCircle SDK, but with GameCircle integrated it launches to black screen. So the issue is some combination between GameCircle and older OS's... I think around 4.2.2 and older. It does crash on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9, but I'm not sure exactly which OS it's running. Runs fine on my Galaxy S4, 3rd gen Kindle Fires, etc. The logs are too long to paste here, but here are 2 logs from a Kindle Fire (1st gen) and a Kindle Fire HD8.9 (2nd gen): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zopm7vep1iluc0g/logs.zip?dl=0 The logs are clearly showing a problem here: com.airwatch.admin.amazon.IAmazonAdminService }: not found Am I somehow missing the JAR file containing this class?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gabriel S. Carter answered
I should mention that I haven't made any changes to the AndroidManifest.xml other than the ones specified in step 6 of the documentation here: https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/apis/engage/gamecircle/docs/unity-setup I've updated those 3 lines, but otherwise it's identical to how it came in the SDK.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Update: I re-imported the GameCircle Unity plugin to make sure I hadn't accidentally deleted something. Re-added my api key, re-added my package name to the manifest, recompiled .apk. Game launches perfectly on my Galaxy S4 (and GameCircle works fine), but it launches straight to black screen on my HTC Evo 3D. In fact, it still shows the app name at the top of the screen which normally would disappear after about a second... it just never goes away and stays stuck on that black screen forever.
10 |5000

Okay, this is a bug in the GameCircle plugin. I created a new empty Unity project, imported the latest GameCircle SDK, loaded just the example scene provided in the SDK and built an .apk. The same problem still occurs. Amazon, can you look into this and see about getting a fix for the Unity GameCircle plugin?
10 |5000

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello Gabriel, Thanks for pointing that out to us, we have seen issues with some of our sdks in some versions of Unity as well. Out of curiosity what version have you been using? I don't see any problems once I upgraded to 4.6.1p2. You can obtain that release at the following website if you aren't already familiar with it: http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases Either way, if you could please try that and let us know if that resolves your issue it would be appreciated.
10 |5000