question

jedimasta avatar image
jedimasta asked

Product Collection App: getting info from Amazon

I'm building an app that functions similarly to the type of DVD/BluRay collection apps that are oh so common, but for a different type of product. The goal is to be able to scan the UPC code from said product and gather some basic information (product name, thumbnail image, etc . . .) from the Amazon listing for display on the user's screen. I've got a scanner already set up that will return the numerical UPC value back to the app and I already know you can do basic Amazon product searches (in browser and within their own app) using a UPC code, but I'm unsure what API calls to use for my own app and what information is returned. For that matter, I'm a bit sketchy on the wording of the Product Advertising API, if I'm even allowed to pull that kind of info from Amazon's listings and use them outside of the Amazon app, ads or pop-up framework. Google has an API for books that does this quite well, but I'm collecting a different type of product that doesn't otherwise have an online database.
mobile associates
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello, For support and more information with the Amazon Product Advertising API: Please view the documentation located at : https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/advertising/api/detail/main.html?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=assoc_tools_content_newlogin&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=&pf_rd_r=&pf_rd_s=assoc-center-2&pf_rd_t=501&ref_=amb_link_359034402_3 In addition, the Product Advertising API does have its own support forum on the AWS forums, linked below. https://forums.aws.amazon.com/forum.jspa?forumID=9
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jedimasta avatar image
jedimasta answered
Thanks for the links. I'm already familiar with some of the Product Advertising site, but the AWS forums don't cater much to mobile developers (many mobile questions are directed here, in fact). Mostly, I'm just looking for a simple yes or no. Is it possible (or, indeed even allowed) to lookup and use information gathered from Amazon's product DB in a custom formatted list? My intention to is link out to the detail page for eventual purchase (if, for example a user doesn't own the product) in order to monetize the app. I found the wording of the user agreement to be confusing, specifically if what I'm trying to do requires the "express written consent" used throughout.
10 |5000

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello, You cannot use data from the Amazon Product Advertising API within mobile apps. We already have APIs, being the Mobile Associates API. For more clarification, please read our Amazon Product Advertising API frequently asked questions. https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/help/t62/180-7830841-8164156
10 |5000