question

livedrive avatar image
livedrive asked

App not showing up when searching from Kindle device

Hi all, Our app was accepted into the Kindle app store on November 8, 2012 and shows up when you search for it through the Amazon web site. Here is the app listing: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX The issue is that searching from the Kindle device (i.e. Apps -> Store -> Search appstore) does not find the app. I've tried every keyword and it never shows up, neither on Kindle Fire HD or Kindle Fire devices. Searching for other apps from the device works, and their listing matches what is displayed via the web app store. So I'm at a loss to understand why our app refuses to be found. I contacted Amazon support once in November, and received this reply: [i]Regarding your first question, we automatically review for Kindle Fire Tablets all apps submitted to the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Program. Recently published apps may be available on Amazon prior to being tested for Kindle Fire Tablets compatibility.[/i] Which was almost 2 months ago, so I waited. There were no development. I asked again in December and received this most unhelpful response: [i]Thank you fro writing in. We do not have any additional information at this time. We have noted your case number and app name, and if we do have additional information, we will reach out to you directly by reopening this case.[/i] And that's the last I heard from them. So I am now at a loss of what to do next. It has been almost 2 months since our app was accepted and our customers keep asking us why it's not available. Has anyone else had any similar experiences? Any ideas how to get the app to show up from the Kindle? Many thanks, Alex Message was edited by: Anshul@Amazon
amazon appstore
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anshul@Amazon avatar image
Anshul@Amazon answered
Thank you for writing in. We have checked your app details and found that your app is only available on Non-Kindle devices. That's the reason you are unable to search your app on Kindle devices. Going forward please raise a ContactUs( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html) for any app specific issues. Forums are mostly used for answering general questions, and the developer community to contribute to app development.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

livedrive avatar image
livedrive answered
Hi Anshul, thanks for your response and confirming that the app is marked as unavailable for Kindle devices. My questions thus becomes, [b]what do I need to do to make my app available on Kindle devices?[/b] Is there a setting or an option I need to change? Or is it solely up to the Amazon team to decide when (if ever) they wish to make it available? I have looked through the developer portal and app settings areas many times and have not found anything wrong. As I stated, I have already asked these questions through the Contact Us page twice in the last two months and both times received unhelpful responses. That's why I resorted to posting on this forum. I thought it might not be an app-specific issue as there may be some setting or something that we have incorrectly configured. I'll send another message but if you could answer my above questions that would be helpful for myself and maybe others. Thanks again.
10 |5000

Sachin@Amazon avatar image
Sachin@Amazon answered
Hi Alex, We are following up on your question and will get back to you once we have an update. Thank you.
10 |5000

livedrive avatar image
livedrive answered
Thanks Sachin, I look forward to receiving more information from you soon. However as I have already been given the same response from the support team over a month ago, with no further updates, I am not very hopeful... If there's [b]anything[/b] I can do to assist your team in following up this issue please let me know. Thanks, Alex
10 |5000

livedrive avatar image
livedrive answered
Hi again, I've been doing a bit more research on this problem and now I am wondering if it is related to the Android sdk version we are targetting in our application manifest. We have set minSdkVersion="8" and targetSdkVersion="9". However as the Kindle Fire runs Android 2.3 does this mean we should instead be targetting sdk version 10? This works fine for us on the Google Play store but I'm wondering if Amazon are a bit stricter with regards to this... Is it a possibility that targetting a lowering sdk version would be grounds for Amazon to mark the app as [b]not compatible[/b] with Kindle Fire devices? If anyone has any information or experience here please let me know! Thanks again, Alex
10 |5000

livedrive avatar image
livedrive answered
Hello again. It's been over a week since my last post, have there been any updates on this issue? We have since submitted an updated version of our app with some changes to the manifest file (in particular minSdk and targetSdk were increased to 10 and a supports-screens element was added) which was approved yesterday and is now "Live", but the app is [b]still not[/b] appearing on Kindle devices. I would like to add some more information. We recently had a second Android app approved by Amazon and thankfully, it [i]was[/i] marked as compatible with Kindle devices and appears when searched for in the store. The strange thing is, both our apps have almost-identical manifest files (in particular the minSdk, targetSdk, supports-screens and uses-permissions elements are identical) and similar feature sets. Yet one is marked as compatible with Kindle Fire and one is not. Can you give us any reason that this might be? Please, please, please review this issue and let us know how it can be resolved. It makes no sense that out of two identical apps one can be compatible with Kindle Fire devices and one cannot. I cannot stress how important it is for our business and customers that this app becomes available on Kindles. Thanks and regards, Alex
10 |5000

livedrive avatar image
livedrive answered
As of this morning, our app is now appearing when searched from Kindle devices. Thank you to whoever pressed the magic button over there to fix our issue. Regards, Alex
10 |5000

Grace avatar image
Grace answered
I canny find it!!!! HELP its driving me mad :(
10 |5000

Anshul@Amazon avatar image
Anshul@Amazon answered
@livedrive Your ContactUs has been actively worked on and one of our support engineer will respond to you on the ContactUs. Thank you for your patience.
10 |5000