question

andyq148 avatar image
andyq148 asked

Got "Compliance Violation" email with no link products need to fix

I got "Compliance Violation" email about one or more designs do not comply with Merch by Amazon policies on yesterday. The email didn't show any link of my designs. It just said "one or more designs" and I didn't know what is my designs need to fix too. Below is the email content I received from Merch: " We are contacting you regarding your Merch by Amazon account and the design(s) you have submitted through the Merch by Amazon portal. During our review processes, we have found one or more designs that contain content that do not comply with our content policy and/or the Merch by Amazon Services Agreement. Merch by Amazon takes intellectual property very seriously. Please review our FAQs and Content Policy to make sure that all of your designs comply with our policies. Accounts that violate the Service Agreement or our Content Policy may be terminated and royalties withheld. Please remove all designs that do not comply with Merch by Amazon policies immediately, or your account will be terminated. Click here to learn how to delete live t-shirts. Examples of some design(s) and product information in question: Rihanna T-shirt If you believe that you have sufficient rights to distribute the design(s) and associated product information listed above and all intellectual property contained within, please provide documentation demonstrating that you have the rights. The documentation must be either a confirmation letter from the intellectual property rights holder or a copy of the applicable license. You should submit the documentation to: merch-sellers-contactus@amazon.com. Please set the Subject field to “Design Submission" and include your product title, ASIN, and documentation of rights within the email's body. We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to your response within the next 48 hours (2 business days). Thank you. Best regards, The Merch by Amazon Team " It only mentioned "Rihanna T-shirt" and all of my designs never use anything belong to Rihanna (lyric, title of song, picture of Rihanna...). What should I do next if I don't know my product links need to fix?
merch by amazon
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Careful Reader avatar image
Careful Reader answered
If the only thing on your tee(s) related to Rihanna is the name, then it would seem the name itself is the problem. Message was edited by: Careful Reader
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Maverick Merchant avatar image
Maverick Merchant answered
If you are using the name, then I guess it is this: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4801:5nkgx1.2.7 It is a registered trademark on T-shirts. It is a minefield, tricky to know sometimes. Always check on USPTO (or Trademarkia).
10 |5000

Holly S Hertzel avatar image
Holly S Hertzel answered
If they were only using Rihanna as an example, then you can extrapolate from that example that somewhere, in one or more of your designs, descriptions, titles or other areas, you are using an image or word(s) you are not allowed to use. Surely you know to what Amazon is referring. You cannot use the names of celebrities, you cannot use trademarked images (ie Peanuts characters, Hello Kitty, any Disney) unless you have explicit and verifiable permission. I'll bet if you think hard you'll figure out what the violation is. Word of caution - if you don't comply, you may end up getting sued and it could cost you bigtime. It DOES happen.
10 |5000

John Adams avatar image
John Adams answered
I don't see how "Rihanna" could be trademarked or copyrighted, because that is a person's name. Anyone can have a kid named Rihanna. Either way, if you are referring to the singer/artist and making a shirt around that genre/niche, then yes, I can see where it might have some problems.
10 |5000

Maverick Merchant avatar image
Maverick Merchant answered
John Adams, it is ridiculous, but it can be trademarked and it is! Try putting the girl's name Mercedes on a shirt, with no reference to the car and it is infringement. Just because it makes no sense, doesn't mean anything :-) It is also worth remembering that you can't use trademarked names in the title or description either - this is if you are selling a shirt and the trademark applies to shirts.
10 |5000

John Adams avatar image
John Adams answered
What if your name was Rhianna or Mercedes by chance? What if John was trademarked? That's my name! That would be crazy...or maybe it is crazy.
10 |5000