question

appsolutelymad avatar image
appsolutelymad asked

4% fill rate with Interstitial ads

Hello, I have an android app that was released 5 weeks ago, the android app uses both Amazon banner ads and interstitial ads. At the moment my overall fill rate is about 35% which is a major concern as the app generates approximately 100000 requests per day 50000 of which are requests for interstitial ads. This is extremely low and shocking and when inspecting just the number of request and impressions that my app generates just for interstitial ads the figure is even more shocking as the fill rate is 4% with 50000 daily requests. 95% of my users are based in the U.S if that helps in clarifying anything. Also as additional information that may help to identify the problem, I have received 20000+ downloads on Google play 2000+ elsewhere and 28(not a typo) on Amazon. Could this be a factor? I have previously contacted support but they really didn't provide much if any information to help me understand what is going on. Amazon ads work well with my app as they are aesthetically pleasing and blend well with my ui, they also do not break my app like many other ad sdk's and so I would like to continue using the Amazon sdk for my current and upcoming apps, but I need to know what is happening with the fill rate as it has been extremely low for 5 weeks now. I do believe that I have been very patient so far but I now need a resolution so any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks
mobile ads
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Bashir, I am checking with concerned team here. I will get back to you shortly. Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi, Thanks for using the Amazon Mobile Ads API. We looked at your app and have several suggestions for improving ad performance: 1) We noticed that, at various page transitions, this app would attempt to load multiple ad banners at the same time. Many of these ad load attempts would fail with a "can't load an ad because the view size cannot be determined" log message. Please ensure that the AdLayout is already part of the visible view hierarchy before it's loaded. If you want to load the ad off-screen and then move it onto the screen later then the ad should not have a parent view set before its moved onto the visible view hierarchy -- see an example of how to do this in the Floating Ad Sample ( https://developer.amazon.com/public/apis/earn/mobile-ads/docs/floating-ad-s... ). Ensuring the AdLayout is visible and has its parent structure correctly set before loading should significantly improve your banner ad fill rate. 2) Please destroy/reload banner ads upon app rotation. This won't affect fill rate but it will prevent the negative user experience of having a landscape-sized ad persist once the user has turned the phone to portrait orientation. 3) We did not see any interstitial ad requests being made. Can you please describe exactly when and how you are attempting to call interstitial ads so that we can help further? Is it possible that you're attempting to load ad banners when you mean to load interstitials?
10 |5000

appsolutelymad avatar image
appsolutelymad answered
Thanks for your reply, I'll take points 1 and 2 into consideration but as the ads load slowly at times I feel that the solution that I am currently using is adequate. To view where an interstitial ad is loaded, use the following steps; 1) open the app, click an item. 2) a secondary activity is started, it consists of a header and a listview 3) click on the icon in the top left corner of the screen located on the transparent actionbar (the icon is an underscored downward arrow) 4) upon clicking the icon an interstitial ad should be shown Thanks
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi, We followed the steps mentioned by you but only saw evidence of an ad banner load attempt, not an interstitial load attempt. We did see an interstitial from a different ad network, though. Can you please send over snippets of code where (1) the Amazon interstitial ad is first set up, (2) the Amazon interstitial ad is loaded, and (3) the Amazon interstitial ad is shown. It's better to have this information outside of the forum so could you please file a ContactUs ( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html) with a reference of this thread url send us the above code snippet privately? Thanks.
10 |5000