question

appsolutelymad avatar image
appsolutelymad asked

mobile ads are broken

So I'm not the only developer to have experienced problems with Amazon mobile ads. This is obvious, just take a look at the number of posts in regards to all the problems with Amazon mobile ads and the number of views each post receives. Problems range from non payment and non existent support to low fill rates, low ecpm and more. A lot of problems but no solutions, not one post that I have read has a solution to any of the problems mentioned within them or has a reason for why the problems occur. Most responses are answered with something along the lines of ".......forwarded to the concerned team" which is not an answer and does not allow the developer asking the question or the developer reading the question to know where they stand in order to make an informed decision on how to proceed in resolving their issue or finding an alternative. This is what I call being "strung along" there is obviously a serious problem with Amazon's mobile ads that Amazon support will not disclose information about, which is fine but if that is the case you should at the very least not pretend as if every problem is actually a developer error when it is clearly not. for example I had made the following post https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=11696#11696 which refers to a 4% fill rate for Interstitial ads. I received a response to that particular post asking for sample code to try and resolve the issue, but before I could respond with the requested sample code I noticed that without any intervention on my behalf that the fill rate had tippled from 4% to 12%. This sudden increase was within a day or two of the post that I had made, coincidence? I really don't think so considering that the fill rate had remained steady at 4% from the first day the app was published up until the post in question. This raises the question of what exactly is going on? any answers? or are you just going to string me along and pretend as if it is my implementation of the mobile ads sdk that causes the fill rate to swing from 4% to 12% and back down below 2%, because currently the fill rate that I am receiving for Interstitial ads is well below 2%. This is ridiculous considering that over 95% of all my total of 90000+ downloads in the last 2 months are from the United States Problems exist with the Amazon mobile ads system and that is an indisputable fact, but what I would like to know is if this is an issue that the senior management is aware of because it almost seems impossible to me that anybody at a senior level could or would tolerate these issues. What seems more plausible in this case is that there is an issue with the system and the devs that are responsible for it are hiding it (believe me I've seen it happen before). So if anybody else reading this post shares my concerns on this matter and is in contact with any senior level personnel at Amazon I would much appreciate an attempt to raise the issue with them and open a dialogue which would possibly result in clear answers and perhaps a solution or enough information to decide on an alternative. Hulk angry, Hulk smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mobile ads
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

appsolutelymad answered
Also for comparison I would like to share some stats and would welcome other developers to also share so that together we can get a clearer idea of what is happening banner ads 20th Aug to 27th Aug (short lived ads that are not always visible) requests 462,792 impressions 301,692 fill rate 65.19% clicks 535 ctr 0.18% ecpm $0.64 interstitials (shown to user after an action is performed, this is a frequent user action) requests 573,163 impressions 14,584 fill rate 2.54% clicks 397 ctr 2.72% ecpm $3.83
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

appsolutelymad answered
Oh wait I just had a look at the fill rate for yesterday alone and it isn't just below 2% it's actually 0.65% WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is this a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! almost half a percent almost non existent REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! please ex[plain
10 |5000

appsolutelymad answered
I am shocked and amazed at such a low fill rate and doubt that there could possibly be a lower fill rate on any other ad network so I've taken a screenshot which I am now going to post on twitter, Facebook, etc just to satisfy my curiosity and see if anybody can beat my low score, but I think with a 0.65% fill rate
10 |5000

Maj avatar image
Maj answered
Well I have to say for us Amazon ads are doing great! You need to consider that Amazon ads are being served mainly in US and for few EU countries ( UK, FR, DE, IT, ES ) with lower fill rates and growing. If you try to use Amazon only for your global traffic, you may not get best result because most of your inventory will be unfilled, My suggestion is to use a mediation tool to send requests to amazon first and then backfill unfilled requests with another network. Here are the figures we are seeing for July 2014 in Amazon ads ( Both Android and iOS ) on our UK & US only traffic requests: Total Requests: 86,201,277 Impressions: 26,682,442 Fill Rate: %30.95 Ad Earnings: $52,616.41 We use Facebook, Chartboost, iAd, MMedia, MobFox as a back fill to maximize our revenue. And I have to say that we are extremely satisfied with the result! Amazon Ads is growing and their support always been helpful. Getting best out of your inventory is up to you and how you set your mediation tools.
10 |5000

appsolutelymad answered
That's very interesting and thank you for sharing. As I mentioned in my previous posts more than 95% of all my downloads come from the United States alone, global traffic is not a factor here and the fill rate of 0.65% cannot be due to global inventory. If you have experienced good customer support from Amazon then that just leads me to believe that Amazon are selective in their approach in how they handle developer issues. It took 10 days for Amazon to respond to an enquiry about non payment for July. During that 10 day period I sent multiple messages to try and obtain any information and received no response what so ever. I do not believe that anybody would say that that is appropriate. I am not the only developer to have experienced lack of support in regards to the non payment issue and I am sure you yourself are more than aware of that as there are posts by other developers detailing it.
10 |5000

Maj avatar image
Maj answered
Not a problem! Regarding the payment issue on June, yes we had the same issue as well, it got fixed and we got the payment eventually so I would say it was one off issue. To my opinion Amazon is expanding and they might get busy often, If you compare it with lets say Admob, literally there is no support at all from Google where here you most likely will get a response. Regarding your low fill rate, I suggest you to try narrowing your search report in the mobile ads report and select US only and go through each banner size and compare results, it might give you a hint. If you are still getting less than 4% on US traffic, I would send a detailed report to the support and make them aware of this.
10 |5000

appsolutelymad answered
The payment issue may have been a one off for you, but that is not the case for everybody as it seems there have been other cases of this happening prior to the past month. There are also a lot more issues with payments then just non payments. For example I am a developer based outside of the United States and so the witholding fee should not apply to me but it has been deducted from the payment that I received this month even after responding to the email that was sent out to developers requesting information in regards to this matter. I am fully aware of Googles poor support in all areas and agree that it is almost non existent but from my experience it is much the same case for Amazon support. As for the fill rate, like I mentioned previously the traffic is US based and yes filtering for US based request alone in the dashboard returns a result of 0.55% for yesterday. I have looked at the issue from many angles and have compared it with a lot of other data over a period of time. Half a percent really? that's ridiculous I am no longer using amazon interstitials ads and have gone back to Admob 2x the ecpm and close to 100% fill rate. I don't know why I was using Amazon in the first place. Case Closed 0.55% fill rate US traffic interstitials ads
10 |5000

T. Holyoak avatar image
T. Holyoak answered
I am seeing similar problems. Perhaps it is a side effect of the current promotion ($6 ecpm), and there are too many apps requesting ads?
10 |5000

JB avatar image
JB answered
@Maj, Your stats shows very successful return. I'm having problem with my ad (served in USA) which returns NO_FILL all the time. The same AppId works when using banner-ads, but not for interstitial-ad. Could you please explain what you mean by following: "If you try to use Amazon only for your global traffic, you may not get best result because most of your inventory will be unfilled" "My suggestion is to use a mediation tool to send requests to amazon first and then backfill unfilled requests with another network" Thanks
10 |5000

Maj avatar image
Maj answered
@JB Sure, You should use Amazon SDK events and display ads from other networks when there is no fill from Amazon ads, Have a look at AdListeners event at: https://developer.amazon.com/public/apis/earn/mobile-ads/docs/event-tracking-and-errors And on events such as onAdFailedToLoad write codes to display ads from another network. This way you can write your own mediation tool and put multiple networks into a waterfall model and set priorities based on the returns you are getting from each network. Usually each network SDK provides you with similar events ( such as failed and success ). Use the failed event to request and display ad from the next network in your list, here is a simple example to load interstitial ad on Amazon: // Create the interstitial. this.interstitialAd = new InterstitialAd(this); // Set the listener to use the callbacks below. this.interstitialAd.setListener(new AmazonListener()); // Load the interstitial. this.interstitialAd.loadAd(); public class AmazonListener extends AdListener { public void onAdFailedToLoad(Ad ad, AdError error) { // Here load ads from next network } public void onAdLoaded(Ad ad, AdProperties adProperties) { // Here show the Amazon ad as its filled already. this.interstitialAd.showAd(); } } If you do not use these events and use Amazon ads only, of course you are missing all of your unfilled inventory earnings.
10 |5000