question

Laura M. Bangerter avatar image
Laura M. Bangerter asked

Child Online Protection Privacy Act (COPPA) - Engagement Reports

July 1st is when the new COPPA stipulations go into effect in regards to information collected by apps targeted to children. I am looking at the information from the engagement reports and it seems like information is being collected from my apps. Where is the privacy policy for the information that is being collected via my app. COPPA requires that persistent identifiers can not be used across apps without parental consent. Do the engagement statistics track across apps? Is it collecting geolocation? If so how specific is the location data, does it qualify as personally-identifiable (is it specific down to a street and city or GPS coordinates)? Is there any way my apps can opt out of this collection data? COPPA says I am liable for information collected from my app even if I am not the one collecting it. Any information would be helpful.
amazon appstore
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

rmandel@aws avatar image
rmandel@aws answered
Data for Engagement Reports is collected by Amazon in accordance with the Amazon Appstore Terms of Use and Amazon Privacy Notice. We collect this data in compliance with applicable laws, including COPPA. Developers cannot turn off the collection of this data for their apps, but customers can opt-out of the collection of the data (through the “Collect App Usage Data” setting on Kindle Fire and in the Amazon Appstore mobile client).
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.