question

spacepixel avatar image
spacepixel asked

How do Kindle Store categories work?

I've been puzzling over this for a while. How does one get their app into the Kindle Store's App Categories, specifically "Movers and Shakers" ? Despite steady sales for 2 months and a recent update I've seen no sign of my app on any category. Other Apps seem to find their way on there even though they are just released, no reviews and seemingly slipped past the review process without copyright questioning (a new app based on a certain well known Italian plumber with no description and no ratings has just landed in Movers and Shakers). Add to this a stream of apps based along the Minecraft theme that constantly get 1 Star and refund demands that seem to gain category status quite easily. Is there a certain way to get this status? Aside from my app I've seen lots of good apps that deserve a little more attention yet the categories just seem to be randomly picked. Any info on this process appreciated.
amazon appstore
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

spacepixel avatar image
spacepixel answered
Anyone with any clues to this? I'm seeing slow but steady sales for my app but have no clue if this will qualify it for the Movers and Shakers, which would really benefit it. Do weekly sales qualify an app for this category? Anything more I can do ?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Spacepixel, Thank you for posting and sorry for the delay to respond your query. "Mover and shakers" is a featured category in the store and apps appear in to that category according to the purchases that happen with it. You did not provide any specific app information in your query. Your app might not be meeting the criteria to be appeared on this featured categories. I would suggest you to raise a CaotactUs( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html) with us with your app detail to get the specific information on it. Please mention this thread url ( https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1154&tstart=0) in the ContactUs.
10 |5000

spacepixel avatar image
spacepixel answered
Thanks for the info. I'll mail and make further enquiries.
10 |5000

spacepixel avatar image
spacepixel answered
I've managed to get my app onto the Amazon Store under a few categories, and I've noticed a small but welcome increase in sales. I'm still curious as to how an app gets onto the Kindle Fire Storefront, that is; the large banners at the top that greet you, as well as the categories below. "Your app might not be meeting the criteria to be appeared on this featured categories." is the part that's puzzling me as I've submitted a large banner type graphic and followed every other instruction but I'm still seeing apps featured on there that have no reviews, or poor reviews etc....I can't work out what this criteria is based on and it's the KindleFire that I really want to push my app towards.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Spacepixel, Thank you for your interest in marketing products on Amazon. We are excited about the possibility of working with you to promote your app. We ask that developers interested in promoting their apps on Amazon provide a written proposal indicating their suggested promotional ideas (e.g., exclusive marketing opportunities, online site placement, participation in our Free App of the Day, informational statistics on app performance, etc.). Please explore the marketing form located at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/html-forms-controller/Mobile_App_Marketing_Request Before you get started on the marketing proposal, please review the following participation guidelines: • Please be sure to submit all submissions for promotional placements 4 weeks before the date specified for the placement. • Amazon will communicate acceptance of proposals and run dates via e-mail. • Please note that you are responsible for the accuracy of information regarding your apps. Please submit complete screen shots/icons/thumbnails, descriptive text, and other relevant information on the app information page (via the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal). Amazon will use commercially reasonable efforts to see that accurate information is represented on the site. Content updates can be made by submitting correct information via the Distribution Portal. Changes should be visible within 14 days prior to the app availability date. Once the marketing proposal form has been submitted, you will be redirected to the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal. Proposals will be processed on a first come, first served basis. We will be reviewing proposals on a weekly basis. If your request is approved, you will be contacted by an Amazon representative.
10 |5000

markfromop avatar image
markfromop answered
Movers and Shakers seems to be a math equation. It keeps track of daily or hourly ratings and when an app moves up a spot or a few spots up from its previous rating there is a percentage calculated and the top 100 with the highest percentage change get into movers and shakers. So an app that is #4 goes to #2 that's like a 200% increase, same if an app goes from 400 to 200, so it seems random but I believe that's how it works. We have made it into movers and shakers a few times even the #1 spot at one point for a few hours.
10 |5000