question

eggboxderek avatar image
eggboxderek asked

App package naming when using Google IAB and Amazon IAP

I am working on an app that is intended to be launched via both the Amazon App store and Google's Play store. As a result we have two separate implementations for in-app purchasing, using the Amazon/Google libraries respectively, which are both fully working without any problems. However, something I am unclear on, and something that I've not been able to find explicitly stated anywhere in the documentation, is whether the two versions, when we submit them, need to use two separate package names (e.g. com.companyname.google.appname and com.companyname.amazon.appname), or whether they should both use the same package name? (We have reasons to prefer the latter since we're using Facebook deep linking that only allows us to specify a a single package name for the app). I'm wondering particularly about functionality when the user has both stores installed on their Android device, and say they download both the Amazon and Google Play versions of the app - will the respective stores handle updates to the app etc., without any problems? Any advice/insights would be much appreciated, thanks.
iap
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Eggboxderek, You are right to determine two different package names for 2 different versions of your app. This way the user would have no pain when updating the app in future from respective store. For any android device, app is identified by his package name and in case user downloads your app from both the stores in the same device, both will be treated as different app and would not have any complain during new version update. Having two different package names would enable you to deep link the respective app with respective stores. Hope It makes sense to you. If not please get back. Thanks for reaching out.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

eggboxderek avatar image
eggboxderek answered
Thanks for the reply, that's pretty clear I think!
10 |5000

eggboxderek avatar image
eggboxderek answered
Hello again, I've been doing some further research into this problem and I would like to clarify the situation regarding the use of different package names - does Amazon specifically not permit it, or is it just recommended that developers use separate package names? The reason I ask is that I've tested a handful of apps that are available on both the Amazon App Store and the Google Play Store and it would appear that a number of them use a single package name on both stores. This doesn't appear to affect App store functionality in any way since if you install the app from one store, it simply shows up as being already installed in the other store. If you could clarify whether it is a mandatory requirement to use different package names or not that would be really helpful. Many thanks!
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Eggboxderek, It's not mandatory that you have to use different package names for two versions of your app. You could also keep same package name for 2 versions like the other apps have (as you have seen). Please file a ContactUs ( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html) to know more on this. Thanks.
10 |5000

eggboxderek avatar image
eggboxderek answered
Okay great, thanks for confirming that.
10 |5000