question

Carlos avatar image
Carlos asked

How do I troubleshoot the default receiver and where do I report bugs?

I have a bug with a video served by a specefic web server that will play fine on SmartTVs, Chromecast, Roku, AppleTV but it won't play on the Fire TV Stick. It just says video format not supported but if put the same video on a different web server then it plays just fine on the Fire TV Stick so the error is not right. How can I see the logs to find out the underlying cause? I have already tried remote adb but it shows the same unsupported format error on the logs. Also I have discovered what I think is bug and want to know where to report it? Thanks.
amazon fling
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nikhil@Amazon avatar image
Nikhil@Amazon answered
Thank you Carlos for reporting this behavior. The following link lists media formats supported by Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/media-specifications While the above link lists common media formats, there are some hardware related differences between the video formats supported by Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. Some codec profiles may not be supported in one or the other. However, the web servers should not affect the playback, unless it is transcoding the video to another format. This behavior may very well be a bug – could you please provide the details of the media clips and URLs? This forum is the best place for report bugs, etc.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Carlos avatar image
Carlos answered
I don't think it was a codec problem because when I would move that same video to a different web server then it would work fine. The web server runs on the phone itself so I can't give you a URL. I did fix the issue by switching web servers (away from NanoHttpd) but I still think it is odd that with that old web server that video would work with every streaming device I have but not with the FireTV. As far as the bugs I'll make other posts so they don't get confused with this.
10 |5000

Nikhil@Amazon avatar image
Nikhil@Amazon answered
Thanks Carlos for the reports, we have started investigating those. As you mentioned in the other report, the URL decoding might be the problem. I am glad that you are unblocked for now, but we will fix the root cause of this issue.
10 |5000