question

pcyanide avatar image
pcyanide asked

Submitting an extra package

My application consists of two packages. One package is the application itself, the second package is non-launchable (i.e it does not contain an Activity, marked with LAUNCHER category) which provides an additional functionality to the application. The installation of an extra package is optional, so it is installed only if an additional feature is needed. Can you please suggest me the correct way to submit the additional package to Amazon Playstore? - I can't make it a separate item, since it will not pass the submission test. - If I add it as the second apk to an existing item, will the user have an option to download or skip the additional package? Thanks for anticipated reply (hopefully coming soon).
submission testing distributionfire phone
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello pcyanide , Are you referring to something that would generally be considered in an APK Expansion file? http://developer.android.com/google/play/expansion-files.html If so, we do not support this directly as this has a hard dependency on Google Play in order to function. You would need to implement something similar on your own to be able to deliver content to your app to install for your customers. Which, at this point , unfortunately means that instead of submitting the additional package you would need to host it yourself and have it available such as our testers can make sure it functions during the review process. Hopefully this helps clarify things for you in regards to the submission process.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pcyanide avatar image
pcyanide answered
Hello Doug , > Are you referring to something that would generally > be considered in an APK Expansion file? It's not an expansion file, this is completely different. While an expansion file gives extra resources, my additional package is a different APK (including code, resources, a different package name and a separate Manifest), which cannot run on its own. In Google Play I have it as another APK, but with Amazon it will not work, because it doesn't pass the submission test (as I mentioned previously). May I submit to Amazon an extra APK without a launchable activity? It not, what should I do?
10 |5000

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
That actually should be supported. However, with a couple of caveats. First, since it will be dependent on another app, under the "Binary Files" tab in your app submission there will be "Testing Notes". You will need to indicate the dependency on your other app so that our testers will know to install the other application. Also, you will need to make sure when you are creating your app submission that it is clear that you are intending this to be content for your other app, as our testers will check for that as well. If you have any further questions, please let us know via our Contact Us link, which I have placed below and we can see what we can do to assist. https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html
10 |5000