question

Kenneth L Lemieux avatar image
Kenneth L Lemieux asked

Test Device

Is there a way to get a development Fire Phone aside from getting one from AT&T with a 2 year contract? I have several successful apps that would be a perfect showcase for the Dynamic Perspective feature and I'm ready to begin porting.
fire phone
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

TomTom avatar image
TomTom answered
They are available at $649 a piece... You can preorder it now
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Bruce Hopkins avatar image
Bruce Hopkins answered
Yes, I'm very interested as well in getting access to devices for testing and development. I'd prefer to have access to a device NOW before the general public gets access later in July.
10 |5000

Kevin@Amazon avatar image
Kevin@Amazon answered
Unfortunately we are not able to provide test devices for developers at this time. Fire phone, Fire TV and Fire tablet devices are available for purchase in supported markets. Please check the product detail pages for country-specific availability information. The Fire phone will be available in the US market starting July 25th. The Fire phone includes a number of APIs not available on stock Android devices and emulators. In order to test your app's use of Extended Android Controls (EAC), which implements the side panel, and Home APIs, you can use the API Simulator. You can install the API Simulator via the Android SDK manager as an add-on, or download via the zip archive here: https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/sdk You can learn more about the API Simulator here: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone/docs/using-the-api-simulator-tool
10 |5000

Kenneth L Lemieux avatar image
Kenneth L Lemieux answered
Thanks for the reply. I have a device on pre-order with delivery scheduled for July 25th. Wish there were a way to get it before the official launch so I could have my apps ready. > Unfortunately we are not able to provide test devices > for developers at this time. Fire phone, Fire TV and > Fire tablet devices are available for purchase in > supported markets. Please check the product detail > pages for country-specific availability information. > The Fire phone will be available in the US market > starting July 25th. > > he Fire phone includes a number of APIs not available > on stock Android devices and emulators. In order to > test your app's use of Extended Android Controls > (EAC), which implements the side panel, and Home > APIs, you can use the API Simulator. > > ou can install the API Simulator via the Android SDK > manager as an add-on, or download via the zip archive > here: > https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/developm > ent-tools/sdk > > ou can learn more about the API Simulator here: > https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/ > fire-phone/docs/using-the-api-simulator-tool
10 |5000

videva avatar image
videva answered
Can Fire Phone "Without a service plan" get activated and work outside US? I realize that there limitations on the downloads and credit card used, but all what we need is to be able to test our apps on that device (we live outside US).
10 |5000

Kevin@Amazon answered
Hi Videva, The short answer is no, you cannot ‘activate’ the Fire Phone for use outside of the US. You can of course use it as a test device, taking note that you cannot actually make phone calls or other carrier network type functionality. Note also that the Fire Phone cannot be shipped outside of the US currently.
10 |5000

Fenlander Software avatar image
Fenlander Software answered
How can us international developers get hold of devices to test ? My app makes use of the camera which may need tweaking so the emulator is no good. Any chance you can hold test days in international offices where we can go to an Amazon office and fix our apps ? Message was edited by: Fenlander Software
10 |5000

Kevin@Amazon answered
Hi Fenlander Software, Unfortunately we are not able to ship Fire Pone outside the US at this time. Your idea of a test facility in some of our international offices is an interesting idea, and we have passed this on to our teams to examine the feasibility.
10 |5000