question

ZigZag, Inc. avatar image
ZigZag, Inc. asked

What happens with existing apps regarding device targeting?

In the FAQ page there's the question "How can I be sure that my app includes "HD" in the title?" that has this as part of the answer: [i]If you believe your app meets the requirements above and should be identified as HD on the product detail page, please include the notation "please review for HD designation” in the Testing Instructions field when you submit your app.[/i] How does this work for existing apps? We have several apps already in the app store that support both standard and high-density displays and are available for Kindle Fire. Will these be automatically considered for Kindle Fire HD? If not, how do we request that they be tested for HD? Do we have to submit updates just for this?
fire tabletsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ZigZag, Inc. answered
I now see that the Amazon Appstore for Android (as viewed in my desktop computer browser) has check box to select apps that are for "Kindle Fire (1st Generation)." Will all of the "Kindle Fire (1st Generation)" apps run on the new Kindle Fire devices, too? If not, how can one find out which apps are available for the new Kindle Fires? Obviously, I want to know if our apps are available to new Kindle Fire owners, and if not, how to address whatever the issues might be.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Samuel@Amazon avatar image
Samuel@Amazon answered
Basically whatever app that are in Kindle Fire should be supported in Kindle Fire HD. We will follow up on this question and we hope to have an answer for this soon.

modestregister avatar image
modestregister answered
Hi, I have a similar query. I currently have 8 of my games live on amazon store but only 2 of them are available on Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD. Rest are available only on Kindle ( First generation). Even though in device selection I have choose all options Device Support All non-Amazon Android devices based on my manifest, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire (1st Generation), Kindle Fire Please do let me know how can I make it available for Kindle fire and Kindle Fire HD as well. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009361MJA

Anshul@Amazon avatar image
Anshul@Amazon answered
We're researching specific things developers can do to ensure their apps are compatible with the new devices, and will update our FAQ answer soon. In the meantime, please raise a ContactUs ( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html) with us for an specific app issue.

ZigZag, Inc. answered
When the Amazon web pages updated to show app compatibility with the new devices, all of our apps except for one were listed for the new devices. Since that app had been built with the same code as three others that were approved, we wrote to Amazon about it, and they re-checked the app and approved it. Related: It would be really helpful if Amazon would let developers know not only that their apps had been approved for the Appstore for general Android devices, but also specifically when the app has been tested for Kindle Fire and what models of Kindle Fire it has been approved for. Now, when I have a new app in the Appstore, I need to keep going to the Amazon Appstore, searching for my app, and then checking to see if it is listed for KF.

Samuel@Amazon avatar image
Samuel@Amazon answered
Hello Marshapop, We understand your concern and thanks for your suggestion. We will forward this to the concerned team. Thanks again.