question

JenR avatar image
JenR asked

App not available for Kindle after publishing

We recently published an app to the Amazon Appstore; it was approved and is now live. However, our app is not visible in the Appstore from any Kindle device. The information listed in the 'Binary' tab of the app in our developer console states that it should be available on all devices, and we did indeed submit it to be compatible with all devices. We have submitted several requests via the 'Contact Us' form for further information on why it is not displaying as an available app for Kindles (though it does appear in the web store, as well as within the Appstore app on non-Kindle devices). So far we have only received a boilerplate response that 'not all apps available through Amazon Apps are currently available on Kindle Fire Tablets'. We had this issue with a previously submitted app and got a detailed response very quickly, but this time no help has been forthcoming. Could someone please investigate this issue for us? We can provide our current ticket number or other information if needed. Our contact information is also current under our profile if email is preferred to continue. Thanks in advance!
fire tabletsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ZigZag, Inc. avatar image
ZigZag, Inc. answered
Your situation sounds similar to a situation we faced recently. In addition to doing our own apps, we also develop apps for others. One such app, which was designed and built with Kindle Fire as one of the primary test devices, was rejected for Kindle Fire by Amazon. Amazon made it clear that they would provide no feedback or information as to why the app was rejected. It is clear to us that the app was not rejected for technical reasons, since: (1) it was thoroughly tested on the Kindle Fire; (2) it was quickly approved for the Amazon App Store; and (3) in other instances where there have been technical issues, Amazon has always been very forthcoming about what the error was. From our experience, we understand that Amazon has a two-tier approval process: the first tier is technical, and the second tier is business. We have concluded that when Amazon does not explain why an app is rejected for Kindle Fire, it likely means that Amazon has a business reason for rejecting the app. These business reasons will never be explained to developers. The group that we developed the app for has asked for guidance as to what will be allowed, but Amazon will not even answer that. The bottom line is that Amazon has many business considerations. Even if your app does not seem to have anything to do with Amazon's own business interests, it may violate some hidden set of Amazon's business relationships. It is one of the risks in developing for Amazon.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jamesvalls avatar image
jamesvalls answered
Hi JenR, Did this issue get resolved for you in the end? I'm having exactly the same issue, I've contacted Amazon and I haven't received an answer so far.

JenR avatar image
JenR answered
marshahopp - Thank you for your post, that helps shed some light as to what might be happening. jamesvalls - Unforunately no, we are still awaiting a response as well.

ZigZag, Inc. answered
JenR, jamesvalls: If either of you receives a response from Amazon, I would very much like to know about it. Unfortunately, this forum does not seem to have a mechanism for notifying a user as to when new responses have been added to a thread, or for contacting others on the forum directly. I will try to keep checking back here to see if new posts have been added.

Samuel@Amazon avatar image
Samuel@Amazon answered
Hello Marshahopp, You can always watch this thread for any new response or replies on this thread. Please click on the "watch this thread" option where this will notify you on your mail whenever there is a new response. Thank you.

ZigZag, Inc. answered
Thanks for the tip about watching the thread. I had not seen this feature earlier.

Samuel@Amazon avatar image
Samuel@Amazon answered
you are welcome :)

Prescott Lee avatar image
Prescott Lee answered
We have been having this same issue for MONTHS now. The pretty new app dashboard shows our Device Support as "All non-Amazon Android devices based on my manifest, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire (1st Generation)", yet our app does not show up in the Kindle Store. We have never received a specific acceptance or rejection regarding our app on the Kindle Fire. We have sent numerous emails to Amazon support, but continue to get BS canned CRM responses that do not address the issue; e.g. like this one: "Thank you for writing back. Unfortunately, we do not have any additional information to provide at this time. However, Amazon now offers an In-App Purchasing API, which makes it easy for you to offer digital content and subscriptions--such as in-game currency, expansion packs, upgrades, magazine issues, and more--for purchase within your apps. Apps sold through Kindle Fire Tablets should use Amazon’s In-App Purchasing API. It's easy-to-integrate, cost-effective to get up and running quickly, and our 1-Click purchase experience is simple, secure, and trusted, increasing conversion rates for purchases within your app. You can learn more about this API by visiting the In-App Purchasing API section within the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal." We are completely frustrated at how dreadfully poor Amazon's developer support has been. Is there any way to talk to a live person about this issue?

ZigZag, Inc. answered
Although I did set the "watch this thread" feature, I was not notified about Prescott Lee's posting. Prescott: From our experience, you won't get anything meaningful from Amazon because the problem is not a technical issue. Here is what we are currently doing to try to work around our version of this problem: We have searched the Amazon Appstore for all apps that have similar or overlapping functionality and/or content to the app that was rejected. We are analyzing which of those apps have been approved for Kindle Fire, and which have not. We have formed some hypotheses about what the business triggers are for rejecting our app. We are planning a revised app, minus what we suspect are the offending parts. At some point, the revised, watered-down app, will be submitted to Amazon to test our hypothesis.

Prescott Lee avatar image
Prescott Lee answered
Thanks for your insights. We never received a formal rejection did you? Regardless of the issue, technical or business, I would hope that Amazon would at least do us the courtesy of formally rejecting our app and providing their reasoning. Our having to blindly guess their reasoning is ludicrous, don't you think? We are not going waste our time going down this rat hole. -Prescott > Although I did set the "watch this thread" feature, I > was not notified about Prescott Lee's posting. > > Prescott: From our experience, you won't get anything > meaningful from Amazon because the problem is not a > technical issue. Here is what we are currently doing > to try to work around our version of this problem: We > have searched the Amazon Appstore for all apps that > have similar or overlapping functionality and/or > content to the app that was rejected. We are > analyzing which of those apps have been approved for > Kindle Fire, and which have not. We have formed some > hypotheses about what the business triggers are for > rejecting our app. We are planning a revised app, > minus what we suspect are the offending parts. At > some point, the revised, watered-down app, will be > submitted to Amazon to test our hypothesis. marshahopp: