question

tposchel avatar image
tposchel asked

App not showing up in store on Kindle Fire Devices

Hi all, Our app was accepted into the Kindle app store on Sept 17, 2013 and shows up when you search for it through the Amazon web site via the browser. The issue is that searching from the Kindle Fire device App Store does not find the app. When I try to install the app from the Amazon website on my tablet, I get an error about the application not being supported. It seems as though the app does not support Kindle Fire devices. However, the binary details of my application show that the following devices are supported: "All non-Amazon Android devices based on my manifest, Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Fire (2nd Gen), Kindle Fire HD 7 (2nd Gen), Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (2nd Gen)". I contacted Amazon support via the https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html link over a 4 weeks ago and have replied to my own ticket 5+ times (I've lost count, but several times each week). I was told that I would be contacted but have not been. I know that other developers have had similar experiences ( https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2287) but unfortunately those posts are locked down and I can't respond to figure out how it was resolved though it looks like some sort of "magic button" was pressed on Amazon's side. Question: Is there some documentation that I am missing to figure out the process to getting an application approved into the Kindle Fire App Store? How do I know that my application is being reviewed in this separate "fire" silo? Or that it passed/failed? Please don't reply and tell me to use the "contactus" link because I've done that too many times now. Can someone please enlighten me on what I need to do next?
fire tabletsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

robin avatar image
robin answered
Hello tposchel, I am a recent purchaser of a KF HD7 for testing Html5 apps developed for the Amazon App Store. Although it appears you are further along in the deployment process, I too share your frustration in this app publishing process. It isn't specified what type of app you are submitting, I'm taking a wild stab that it may be of the Html5 type rather than a native .apk style app, from both the forum registered date, the number of posts and the recent time frame from following the announcement of accepting Html5 apps into the store. I too have tried using the 'ContactUs' method with less than stellar success. I have even initiated requests to the PR dept kindlepr@amazon.com that supposedly acts on suggestions with no immediate result and absolutely no response what so ever. BTY, I'm submitting this entire post there to see if that will set off some flags. We developers are taking it in the shorts here, and need to speak up. Others please do the same. My guess is that the trend these days for the big corporate machines to out-source most of this deployment process. Sadly, the new paradigm we all have to go along with, to get a stab at rising above being mediocre. Along with the obvious communication and society norms that wildly differ as a result of out-sourcing, it appears several teams along this Amazon process don't even follow the basic tenets set down by their own founder. Found this a while back that might shed some insight, but too bad their own chosen out-sourced staff doesn't have the same drive or follow the gist of their leadership recommendations. From an article back in June 2013, "7 Customer Service Lessons from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos" "1. Don’t Just Listen to Your Customers, Understand Them" [5] It appears our experience is no one is listening and therefore one can't expect to be understood. Sad. I'm sure when the announcement [6] (Th 08/08/13) went out to accept Html5 apps, that the intention was to mirror the success from past deployment of native apps. I've been met with a massive amount of frustration myself. As a seasoned developer, I've learned to have a thicker skull when dealing with these issues, but I can't imagine what a new comer to development is thinking when met with these obstacles. I'd guess they'd bail and go back to the competition. Points of interest. Lack of timely support. I've had several forum posts to uncover basic information that is clearly lacking from the documentation. I even provide inconsistencies and omissions. For some reason, I perceive they don't want us to know. What are they trying to hide? Poor design? But how can a developer create for their product line, when one can't use their product in the way it could since the documentation is lacking? I've been pulling teeth for over a month attempting to get a basic answer to localStorage using the Silk browser for Html5. It may be that only a limited staff has been assigned as I also guess that only native app developers are available to support Html5 apps as the responses I get make me understand the respondent hasn't a clue how to respond as they haven't done development in the specific area for the basic task that I requested assistance for in the first place. Guessing only reveals their lack of training. Not impressed here either. There isn't a real ticket system to handle issues. I have met with the same fate using the 'ContactUs' means. Did have one success after four volleys, but not as I would expect. My forum posts are taking over a week for a response from the moderator, and there has never been a response on weekend dates. Silence is a real irritant. Unacceptable. I'd rather be writing code than responding to forum entries as I'm sure you would also. For me this process is four times slower than others I have dealt with. A big disappointment. Their staff may eventually 'get it' but I hope not too late losing both developers and market share they could otherwise retain. We don't earn that percentage return, and neither does Amazon. One would think that would speed up the process that you also have seen is a big road block. I'm not gettin' compensated when writing here where my efforts could be creating better code for their store. We are profit to the machine, their staff is overhead. Myself, I have yet to go through the submittal process and read over again the list of tasks that could prevent the ultimate deployment of the app in question. I note that you indicated you had been approved, but I wonder if there is something in the list that might be holding up for the Fire specifically. I have seen several forum responses for their new HDX not passing muster for a variety of reasons. Maybe the focus is on the success of that product for the 2013 holiday season. Regarding "though it looks like some sort of "magic button" was pressed on Amazon's side." my guess is that despite the six month old reference, the attempt is to encourage others to support the forum system using the awarded 'points' see right sidebar legend. When the entry is answered and points awarded, the response mechanism appears to go dead. There are some apparent mysteries in the implementation of this system. Please keep us posted as I'm sure their are others that may have similar situations or to those that are on the verge of giving up. Seeing some success might keep the fire lit. This may not have been the ideal response you were seeking, but hearing from another in the trenches might defuse the frustration. My $0.02 worth, Robin Submitting an Android App for Kindle Fire [1] Kindle Fire Pre-Submission Assessment Guide [2] Submitting Your Web App [3] App Submission Process Flow [4] 7 Customer Service Lessons from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos [5] Amazon Greenlights HTML5 Web Apps [6] [1] https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/submit-android-app.html [2] https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/fire-testing.html [3] https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/webapps/submitting.html [4] https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/webapps/submitting.html#App%20Submission%20Process%20Flow [5] http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2013/06/jeff-bezos-lessons.html [6] http://www.technewsworld.com/story/78671.html
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tposchel avatar image
tposchel answered
Robin -- Thanks for the lengthy response and our application is a native *.apk. For me, the biggest question is whether or not the regular app submission process includes Kindle Fire testing or if that is some sort of separate queue. The 'App Submission Flow Chart' [ https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/in-app-purchasing/documentation/submitting.html] indicates several states: 1) In Progress 2) Submitted 3) Review 4) Pending 5) Approved 6) Live I've spoken with a few developers who said that their application was not available on the KF initially after the app went LIVE but then a short time later it was -- indicating to me that perhaps there is a separate review process for the KF. However, the developers have no access to this review status.
10 |5000

tposchel avatar image
tposchel answered
It's been several more weeks with lots of emails to the 'Contact Us' link with no response. I think I found out what our problem is. Our application is a Bible Study software application with an element of e-reading. Users own libraries of books and they can consume them in our application. Our books have a lot of extra markup in them to allow us to perform Bible study, but at some level we are an e-reading application. As I understand it, Amazon has blocked many reading applications from their Kindle Fire Store (i.e. Kobo, Bluefire Reader). 2 of our largest competitors in the Bible study software space already exist in the Kindle Fire Store so it is frustrating that they were allowed in but we are being ignored.
10 |5000

Fabrizio Ferrari avatar image
Fabrizio Ferrari answered
Hello here. I've got the exact same issue with our application below: http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Sheet-Music/dp/B00EJWB4VE/ As you can see from the negative reviews at the bottom of our product page, users themselves are frustrated by the fact Amazon keeps telling them that our app is not compatible with Kindle whereas it is!!! And some users also had installation nightmares because of that where the application was first installed, never worked, and then impossible to remove from the device! I have contacted the Developer Support team several times, but without any reply after over 5 weeks. I am really frustrated... is anyone from Amazon reading these forums? Anyone else having the same issue here? Looks like Amazon's developer system is messed up. I am seriously considering to remove our application from the Amazon store to avoid any additional damage to our company image due to bad customer reviews and such. Any thoughts and suggestions on this issue is very welcome!! All the best, Fabrizio Ferrari Virtual Sheet Music, Inc. http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com
10 |5000

Fabrizio Ferrari avatar image
Fabrizio Ferrari answered
As an additional thought: anyone know if Amazon has a phone number to call for this kind of issues? I couldn't find a phone contact anywhere on the Mobile App Distribution program section!! Message was edited by: Fabrizio Ferrari
10 |5000

pinnacleapps avatar image
pinnacleapps answered
Did you ever get this sorted? I have a similar situation and would like to get it sorted, so wondered what your outcome was? Thanks
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
To protect the personal information of developers, we do not discuss the details of specific applications on these discussion forums, but request that you reach out to us via the ContactUs form. This allows us to validate your identity and discuss app specific information in a context that will not expose personal and proprietary information.
10 |5000