question

Natalie Clarke avatar image
Natalie Clarke asked

Apk not loading onto kidle fire with sideloading. Is there a better way?

Hi Wonderful Developers I have a kindle fire HD 7 inch and what to test my app before publishing. In the past I loaded the app ES3 and moved the signed apk to the device. It worked well. I updated my app in gamesalad, and updated ES3. Now when I move the signed sdk to the device, I get a message, app is not installed. I have restored the kindle, reloaded the app etc but I don;t know what else to do. Is there a better way to test this app? I don't want to update to Amazon until the app is fully tested. PLEASE HELP!
fire tabletsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Natalie Clarke answered
I have sideload the APK for my app onto your Kindle Fire tablet doing the : Open a command prompt window or terminal shell. From the command line, change I drag and drop the SDK platform-tools directory into terminal It says: -bash: /Users/Nat/Developer/adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20140321 2/sdk/platform-tools: is a directory . Run the following command: adb devices I get -bash: adb: command not found Can;t see any serial number even though I have Android file transfer and it moves apps from the Mac to the device. Run the following command: adb install I then tried to drag and drop and get this message: -bash: /Users/Nat/Desktop/Baby App Pro/Boy_or_Girl_Game_PRO.apk: Permission denied PLEASE HELP! TEARING MY HAIR OUT!
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

robin avatar image
robin answered
Hello Natalie, Your post caught my eye as I reviewed my own forum inquiries. Although I have no knowledge on the Mac platform, and it might take a bit of time, say till Mon June 30 before an 'Amazonian' staff member is able to reply, although primarily an Html5 WebApp developer, I thought some feedback might get you closer to your testing initiative sooner. Just good Karma. I felt you have intermediate to advanced PC skills as you are running command line executables, forgive me should this be too simplistic but I have been burned a few times stuck, then rescued in the 'oh, . . . now I remember' mode. How long ago was 'in the past' ? You indicate you have a KF HD7, and the OS has been updated several times. I purchased mine circa Nov 2013 and had ver 7.4.6 at that time. As you indicate "In the past . . . . It worked well." the functionality of installing may have changed over time. I remember then, I had difficulty with the adb software on a Windows PC until I went through the updates for my home PC, the KF HD7, SDK install and the adb software learning curve. I note that it might be that, the EXACT syntax for the commands for using adb, are difficult to grasp using the documentation. Following is an example I use daily. re: "I get -bash: adb: command not found" It sound like the Mac is not able to locate the Android Bridge software executable adb.exe It might also be that the environment variable isn't being seen and thus adb is unable to reference it's own libraries. Was the sdk installed and not just dragged into the file system? On a Windows PC typing 'path' provides the path location of the adb.exe file and the references to the environment variable the adb software will need. Here are exact strings I pulled from my batch files: C:\>path PATH = %PATH%;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools To manually launch, switch to that folder or start from the file system. C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe If adb starts, but produces errors, then my guess is the environment variable is corrupt, missing or not initialized to the current intall location. Your response doesn't indicate whether the filename suffix '.apk' was appended. Here is how I sideload an .apk located in the folder 'demos' adb install demos/demoawv.apk Then to uninstall you will need the package name adb uninstall com.example.demoawv From experience, I know that one cannot sideload a new application instance until the old installed .apk is remove from the same location. On the versions since 7.4.6 I have never been able to locate using ES3 but the developer.amazon documentation implies the /bin folder [1] Don't update your version just yet, until after an 'Amazonian' responds. This should help them understand your issue on a Mac. They will however need to know what version you are currently at. Mine had not been properly sync'ing since April-May of this year 2014 swipe down from top to open settings more device about Current version 7.4.9 I hope some of the above will make things sound a bit more familiar. If all that fails, try re-reading the android bridge docs and links at that page bottom [2] I realize that you are on a Mac and my references are from a Windows PC environment, I hope that seeing something that works might shed some light on your specific issues. If the 'oh, now I remember' light still hasn't gone on, it appears practicing patience until a staff member responds, I know that is tough when one hits a road block and wants to keep developing. Note some of the headaches I've had to endure with WebApps in my posts. I'll also check back late Sun June 29, my time, should you be able to provide any additional steps and results, and I'll give it a shot. Best of luck from the USA time zone CST Robin [1] https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/ide-tools/tech-docs/06-testing-your-app-on-an-emulator-or-tablet [2] https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html p.s. the server is time stamping two hours behind CST or PST
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Natalie, Robin is right that you need to go through below links [1] https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/ide-tools/tech-docs/06-testing-your-app-on-an-emulator-or-tablet [2] https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html As an app developer you should never use File explorer to install apks. This way you will never understand the failure reason of the app installation. Instead if you use ADB, that would help you to understand why the apk could not be installed in the device. One common error reason could be the signature mismatch of the apk with the version installed and the one you are trying to install. If the apk is not signed then also it wont install an Android device. If you start using ADB you will get meaningful error codes back from the command line. Thanks.
10 |5000

Natalie Clarke answered
Thanks for your assistance. Very much appreciated. I have a big block with this that I have had to walk through. I took a look at the ADB terminal and it said that I issues with signing my app. So I went back to gamesalad and resigned my app and it works perfectly. By updated version will be out soon of my baby app! Best regards Natalie www.lifecleansing.net
10 |5000