question

Brian Rak avatar image
Brian Rak asked

Package name of existing app on Amazon App Store not unique -- is that OK?

Hello, In preparing an update to an Android app that has been on the Amazon App Store for several years, I discovered that Amazon now requires apps to have unique package names (even unique from the same app in a different store). However, my existing apps on the Amazon store have exactly the same name as their Google Play equivalents. I guess Amazon didn't check for this when I originally submitted them. This creates a conundrum for me. If I change the package name, then the update will not be associated with the original app. But if I keep the name the same, I'm not following the package name requirements and I'm guessing the update will be rejected. Am I grandfathered in somehow? In the case of the updates to the existing apps, can I use the same package name? Or is it possible to submit updates to apps with different package names? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
fire tabletsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
The binary package name must remain the same each time there is a version update to an app title. For instance, when you click on "Create New Version" under an existing app in your Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal account, the new version binary you upload will be checked against the package name of the previous binary. If your new binary is rejected by the Distribution Portal due to an inconsistent package name, you have two options: 1) re-compile the new binary and change the package name to match the previous version; or 2) replace the old binary with your new binary and start over with the new package name for this app going forward. We strongly recommend Option 1 because it provides the best customer experience. Retaining the same package name allow devices to recognize updated versions of the same app. When you change the package name of an app with an existing user base, your users will not receive update notifications and will need to manually replace and remove the older version of the app. This is an especially poor experience for paid app consumers. If you opt for Option 2, your existing app will be taken down from Amazon Apps so that you can submit the new package name as a new app. This is not a recommended approach, especially if the existing version has already been sold or downloaded by customers. If you select Option 1, please modify your binary and re-upload. If you choose Option 2, please let us know and we will approve and enable on our end.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

br-n avatar image
br-n answered
By binary package name, I assume you mean the Application (or Manifest) package name, since that is what Android uses as unique identifier, and not the Java package name. If this is the case, how will the new rule regarding the uniqueness of package names across other app stores be applied? If an app is already in the Amazon store with a package name that is not unique across other stores, can it still receive updates without changing the package name? Thanks
10 |5000

Mike M avatar image
Mike M answered
Fwiw, I just had an app update approved and, like you, the name matches the Play store name. I'm guessing this is only applying to new apps and you can just keep submitting like you have so far.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
We have updated our guideline : https://developer.amazon.com/public/support/submitting-your-app/tech-docs/s... "Each app's package name must be unique. The package name of each app that you submit to Amazon must be different from the package name used in any other app." To answer to your query, yes, your app would be able receive updates from Amazon App Store (if there is new version available) even though the same app with same package name is available in other store. Other store will not be able to overwrite the app (since it's downloaded from Amazon App Store and it's signed with Amazon own certificate) but will notify the user that in order to update they have to manually uninstall the app before they can proceed to manually install the new version.
10 |5000