question

T. Kincaid avatar image
T. Kincaid asked

Large App Never Installs

I have a 4th gen HD 6. I'm trying to download an app of mine that is 300MB. When I go to the store on the device and click download, it goes through the download progress then says "installing" for a while. It then goes to the home screen and shows the app icon with an orange bar across the bottom. If I click the icon, it goes back to the store and shows the download button. How can I download this app and would other people be having this same problem?
fire tabletsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

T. Kincaid avatar image
T. Kincaid answered
Actually no app seems to be installing. I tried Facebook and Twitter and they are just hang with the orange bar across the icon. Tried factory reset. Nothing is changing.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, This sounds like a device issue, not a developer issue, for which I'd suggest contacting customer support: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

T. Kincaid avatar image
T. Kincaid answered
After a factory reset, all other apps (Facebook, Twitter, my own apps) all download and install fine. It's just this one particular app that has problems and the only thing different about it is that it is 300MB. Sometimes it downloads and installs. In those cases, I notice that it stays on the store page until the app finishes installing. Most other times, it never fully installs. In these cases, it exits the store page before finishing installing and goes to the app page showing an orange line on the bottom of the icon. Once this happens, the app never finishes installing and trying to download other apps causes this same behavior, exits store before finishing installing and showing icon with orange bar.
10 |5000

Melody avatar image
Melody answered
Hi, Thanks for posting in the forums. Please note that this is place for Amazon Appstore developers to discuss and exchange ideas regarding app development. The issue you have described sounds like an end customer situation, which Amazon Customer Service would be able to assist with. Please reach out to them at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html
10 |5000

T. Kincaid avatar image
T. Kincaid answered
I am an app developer. I am clearly talking about an app that I developed and that doesn't install when I download it from the store.
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, We still would suggest you contact customer support to ensure that this is not a device-specific issue and to do device troubleshooting that we as developer support are unable to do. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000

T. Kincaid avatar image
T. Kincaid answered
After a lot of trial and error, it seems that 200MB is about the limit for an app to consistently finish installing. Larger than that, it hangs most of the time and never completes installing. This is on multiple apps and multiple devices.
10 |5000