question

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer asked

Kindle Fire HD 7" - compass?

I worked out that the Fire HD doesn't have a magnetic sensor, so you can't use the Gyro for tilt control, you have to use the orientation sensor instead. However my app still requires a magnetic heading (North). I am using the orientation sensor: @Override public void onSensorChanged(SensorEvent event) { float heading = event.values[0]; The problem is that the North heading is randomly set when you start the app up (as far as I can tell). Does the FireHD actually have a compass, or do I need to disable yet more functionality?
fire tablet
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dixith@Amazon avatar image
Dixith@Amazon answered
Kindle Fire HD 8.9'' 4G wireless is having digital compass feature. Please go through the technical details section in below link for specific features information about different kindle fire devices. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GFRBBW/ref=fs_jw Hope this information helps you.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amazon Customer answered
I didn't ask about an 8.9". Seriously, if Amazon wants developers to support your devices, you have to do a *much better* job of providing APIs. As developers we cannot afford to produce apps for a single device, we need to be able to detect at runtime. So how on a Kindle Fire HD 7" do I tell at runtime if it has a compass on the orientation sensor event?

Dixith@Amazon answered
Hi, We can understand your concern and issue. One way you can implement detecting devices on run time is using Android Build class. This will help you to detect which device and to redirect it to the right action.  Please go through the below link. http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/Build.html Also, we have forwarded your issue to concerned team. Thank you.

Dixith@Amazon answered
Hi, Currently we do not support the compass on Kindle Fire devices. Please use the below package manager in your code to determine if a compass is supported or not. boolean hasCompass = getPackageManager().hasSystemFeature(PackageManager.FEATURE_SENSOR_COMPASS))); Hope this information helps you.

DrHenley avatar image
DrHenley answered
If the Kindle Fire HD doesn't have a compass, can someone please explain this video I just took? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWL75cySDg&feature=youtube_gdata_player Now it is not pointing north, it is 90° off, but how can it keep a heading like that????

Amazon Customer answered
It has a gyro which to my app gets set to 0 (North) when I start using it, so you will have random Norths depending on when an app starts using the gyro... It definitely doesn't have a compass though, so the code supplied by Amazon is what I have added to stop complaints about my app not working correctly.

Samuel@Amazon avatar image
Samuel@Amazon answered
Hi S. Fraser, Thank you for following this thread and clarifying it. Hope this will help other developers as well. Thanks again.