question

Sterling Udell avatar image
Sterling Udell asked

Sideloaded apps not visible on-device (HDX)

The subject line pretty much says it all... After loading an app onto my HDX via ADB, it doesn't appear anywhere on the device. Not on the Apps page, not on the Carousel of recent items. There's nowhere at all that I can see to launch it without going back to ADB on a connected computer. Needless to say, this is quite a hindrance to testing and development, and was not the case on previous Fire generations. Does anyone know of a workaround? Thanks, Sterling
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

robin avatar image
robin answered
Hello Sterling, While you did indicate your post was for KF HDX, forgive me should the following be redundant. I had the same trouble with a KF HD7 that I purchased six weeks ago. You imply it was possible to side load and have the launch image render in the Apps page and the Carousel on previous versions. Even though I was successful at sideloading using ADB, the .apk was never visible anywhere. Never saw either of the images either, even when I installed under /sdcard/Documents/ which currently seems to be the only area my device will allow me to write to. Never saw icons until after I was able to click on the .apk when viewed using the ES3 file manager. I'm with you on the "hindrance to testing and development" issue myself, while attempting to debug Html5 on the device when viewing run time anomalies within the Silk browser. Slow and painful. More so than any other development I've encountered. Robin
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sterling Udell answered
Hi Robin, That's interesting. I've just confirmed that my second-gen Fire HD7 is showing sideloaded apps just fine in the Apps section of the main navigation, as well as in the Carousel (when they're recent). My own apps that are listed in the Amazon Appstore even show up with their hi-res launcher icons, which the device must be downloading from the store; these images aren't in the APK. Other sideloaded apps that aren't in the Appstore only have their low-res launcher icons, but they're still perfectly accessible. I wonder when this changed, if at some point my device will get a software "update" that disables this. If anyone from Amazon is still reading this forum, this is a pretty developer-unfriendly regression, and doesn't do much to encourage us to develop for your store. Sterling
10 |5000

trebordrofnas avatar image
trebordrofnas answered
Sterling - unfortunately I do not have an answer to this problem, but I wanted to add to this forum that I have exactly the same issue. I have an app that I can install and run directly onto my Kindle Fire HDX via Eclipse and ADB, but the app icon does not show up in either the carousel or the app list. If I go into the the applications configuration section I can see that the app is indeed installed in the device, but there is no way to restart it without the icon access. I have also side loaded it onto the SD card and installed from there, but the problem remains the same. I have developed and thoroughly tested it on a Kindle Fire HD7 prior to starting with the HDX and it works perfectly. Hopefully, somebody is listening that can help us with this issue.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi all, Sorry for the late response. Can you please make sure that you have latest OS installed in the device? Also, please follow below link for updating OS. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201357190 We are unable to reproduce the problem in our end. Please get back to us with the OS (currently installed in your devices) version information if the problem persists. Thanks.
10 |5000

trebordrofnas answered
Hello Bangalore: Thank you for responding. On my kindle fire HD7 I have system version 7.4.6 and all of the apps, which I have developed using Eclipse via the ADB with the device as my testbed, have worked just fine. I purchased the kindle fire HDX last month and it has the current system version of 13.3.05 installed. The current app I am working on has been thoroughly tested on both the kindle fire hd and a Samsung S3 phone as I was hoping to prepare it for an Amazon release, but was waiting on the HDX which for the moment has the problem I mentioned in my previous post. I am wondering if there is some change in the requirements for the icons within the app. that may be effecting this issue? I have the following: ldpi - 36x36, mdpi - 48x48, hdpi - 350x500, xhdpi - 96x96, xxhdpi - 144 x144. For some reason the large hdpi seemed to give me the best result image on the carousel, so I left it, but I know it was not standard. However, I have no problem with that on the HD7. Thanks for any continued advice you may be able to provide. trebordrofnas
10 |5000

Sterling Udell answered
Hi Sujoy, Thanks for responding. It looks like 13.3.0.5 has fixed the problem for me (though not others, by the sound of it). Sterling
10 |5000

Sterling Udell answered
Looks like I spoke too soon. The 13.3.0.5 update helped the matter, but didn't fix it entirely... [b]Some[/b] of my sideloaded apps are visible in the Apps and Carousel on-device, while others are not. I can't immediately see what's different about the ones that are visible versus the ones that aren't, but I'd be happy to provide any additional information that I can. Even more curious: after a factory reset, different apps are in/visible than before. And now none of my sideloaded apps are in the Carousel; before the reset, some were. IOW, this issue is very much still open for me as well. If you're testing this, make sure you load a number of different apps onto the device, and confirm that they's [b]all[/b] visible. Sterling
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi all, Before raising this to the appropriate team, I just need to clarify the issue. Is the app published in Amazon (the older version) already? Have you purchased the app from store? Is the apk stored in your cloud? And then you are rebuilding the app from your dev tools and installing the apk through ADB?
10 |5000

trebordrofnas answered
Bangalore: My app has never been submitted to Amazon and was not acquired anywhere else. It is the result of my own development using the Eclipse ADT and Java to write the software. All of my testing has been done directly through the ADB via USB connection as this is more efficient than the emulator environment. As I pointed out earlier, my app has been thoroughly tested and works fine on the Kindle Fire HD. I have continued testing on the HDX model and found that everything is working, except of course this problem of not being able to see the icon loaded in the Carousel or App list, which obviously precludes restarting the app without reinstalling it each time. TreborDrofnas
10 |5000

Sterling Udell answered
Trebor, A couple of suggestions: 1. You can launch from the command line on an attached computer without reinstalling. The adb command looks like this: adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n my.package.name/.ActivityName More details at http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html#am . If you run this in a command line window and just keep it open, it's quick & easy to launch your app from there whenever you need to. 2. There are some third-party apps on Amazon that will launch any app you have installed. One that I know of (and use) is AppMonster, http://www.amazon.com/think-Android-AppMonster-Backup-Restore/dp/B00B5C0YOO , but there are probably others. Yeah, it sucks that you have to spend $3, but you're supporting another dev like you - and probably saving more than $3 of your time. None of this gets Amazon off the hook for fixing this bug, but it might help you work around it. Sterling
10 |5000