question

James Heisig avatar image
James Heisig asked

Japanese characters showing up as Chinese

I recently had a book published with Kindle which used a Japanese font ("Remembering the Kanji." The Kindle Fire displays it perfectly in their default font (not embedded), but the Kindle app for iPad displays the font as Chinese, which has numerous differences that make it unusable. Since a large part of my audience will be downloading the book for an iPad, I wonder if someone could look into the bug. Embedding the entire Japanese font would make for a huge eBook. My guess is that there is a CSS encoding line missing somewhere... I can provide further details if you wish.
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

James Heisig avatar image
James Heisig answered
I just discovered that if I have both the Japanese and Chinese keyboards activated on the iPad, Japanese characters default to the Chinese font, but that if I have only the Japanese, the characters in Kindle mobi files show up correctly. Very odd...
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hello James, In this forum is for Kindle Fire developers who develop apps to distribute through Amazon App Store. Please write to Kindle Direct Publishing forum for your issue https://kdp.amazon.com/community/forumindex.jspa?categoryID=1
10 |5000