question

David Pentz avatar image
David Pentz asked

Kindle Fire HD Dolby Bug

There seems to be a nasty bug when playing multiple mp3 streams when Dolby is turned on. Whenever a second stream starts playing over one already playing the first stream gets very loud. When the second stream stops playing the first stream returns to normal volume. Turning off Dolby makes everything work correctly. Is there a way to turn off dolby programmatically? Any other suggestions?
fire tablet
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sachin@Amazon avatar image
Sachin@Amazon answered
Thank you for the post. We have forwarded your query to the concerned team and will get back to you once we have an update.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sachin@Amazon avatar image
Sachin@Amazon answered
Currently third party applications cannot turn off Dolby programmatically. We are looking into the issue that you are facing and we are also looking for a possible workaround for this. Please stay tuned for further update.

dpizzle999 avatar image
dpizzle999 answered
Bumping this. If there's no way around it, then I guess the only solution would be to detect if it's an HD Fire and prompt with a message telling the user to turn off Dolby. Would the app get rejected for something like this?

Offbeatmammal avatar image
Offbeatmammal answered
do you have a self-contained sample that shows the problem?

Anshul@Amazon avatar image
Anshul@Amazon answered
@dpizzle999 The app should not get rejected in this case as you are gracefully informing the users to turn-off dolby.

LivoBooks avatar image
LivoBooks answered

hawkdev avatar image
hawkdev answered
Reviving an old thread because this still seems to be a problem, and now I am unable to find the system wide disable Dolby on the Fire Phone. The specifics of my setup: using Cocos2d-x v3.5 which I believe uses OpenSL ES. I have a background track, a long audio track, and a short sound effect. As MP3s, if one is playing and another starts or resumes, then all the audio briefly spikes; if one pauses, then the playing tracks get quiet. In testing it looks like if I use a mix of MP3 and WAV the problem still exists, but if I switch them all to WAV files the problem goes away. I have also verified that turning Dolby off (through user settings) on the Kindle Fire HD also solved the problem. Switching to all my sound files to WAV is impractical for release as the app would be huge. Now, over 2 years later, is there a way to turn it off programmatically for this one app? Alternatively, are there suggested MP3 format settings to keep this from happening?

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, Have you tried using the Dolby Developer SDK? http://developer.dolby.com/ It is compatible with Fire devices and may provide a solution to the issues you've been having. Thanks, Nick