question

amap12 avatar image
amap12 asked

Apps not shown in correct Kindle Fire tablet sub-categories on Amazon site

I'm having a similar problem to shimfish. I have an app with graphics specifically drawn for the 1280x800 resolution that is compatible with the Kindle Fire HD, but it is not being listed on the Amazon Appstore website under the "Kindle Fire" and "Kindle Fire HD" sub-categories. It is only being listed under the "Kindle Fire (1st Generation)" sub-category. I sent in a support request 2 days ago asking for this problem to be fixed, but I haven't received a response. I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible because I have a feeling that this is preventing users on Kindle Fire HD tablets from downloading my app in the Amazon Appstore on their devices. The strange thing is, when I look under the "Kindle Fire HD" category, I see apps that haven't been updated in over a year, yet they are listed in this new sub-category. In fact, there are apps whose reviews specifically say that the app isn't compatible with the 1st generation Kindle Fire, yet they are listed under all 3 Kindle Fire tablet categories... How exactly are you determining which apps are shown in which categories? It seems very broken right now.
fire tablet
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Samuel@Amazon avatar image
Samuel@Amazon answered
Please raise a ContactUs for this question because it refers to an individual vendor account or app status. Please refer to the announcement at https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/ann.jspa?annID=4.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brass Key Software avatar image
Brass Key Software answered
Sam, please don't do things this way. I was following this thread because I'd like to know the answer, as well. It doesn't just relate to an individual account or app. Please, please, let's have more open communication between Amazon and developers here. Besides, as the OP said, a "Contact Us" request was already submitted days ago and has gotten no response. I also have a "Contact Us" pending for a critical problem, and I've gotten no response yet, either.

amap12 avatar image
amap12 answered
As Brass Key said, I already submitted a support request, now 3 days ago, with no response. Also, this issue is not isolated to my specific account; it's widespread, and it would make this forum more useful if developers could get answers to how issues such as this were being handled on Amazon's end. I too have seen many a question posted by another developer that I wanted to know the answer to closed because an Amazon employee deemed it specific to the poster's account. However, in reality, it was of interest to more than just one dev.

StephenC@Amazon avatar image
StephenC@Amazon answered
Hi -- I agree that we need to repsond to threads if the questions being answered can help other members. If there is a locked question that can help other members, the moderators will do our best to answer it. Thanks, I appreciate your input

amap12 avatar image
amap12 answered
The posts by myself, shimfish, and superdroid are all related to the same problem. Apps are not being correctly recognized as compatible with the Kindle Fire HD. I just checked my app listing under my developer account. On the "Binary File(s)" tab under "Device Support", it says "All non-Amazon Android devices based on my manifest, Kindle Fire (1st Generation), Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire". This indicates that your system should already know that my app is compatible with the Kindle Fire HD. However, there is some issue that is causing your appstore to not recognize apps as compatible which should be while at the same time recognizing other apps as compatible which shouldn't be (at least as written in reviews for those apps).

USMLEWorld Support avatar image
USMLEWorld Support answered
Please stop responding to any query with the usual "Since this is a specific app related issue" response. There will be more developers who will face similar concerns. Keep the discussion going so that the board is an extension of your documentation. You don't have to respond if you do not have any answers.

I just want to note that my problem has been resolved. Thanks, Steve!

amap12 avatar image
amap12 answered
Are you talking about the problem related to my OP in this thread? Or are you talking about a different problem that you reported? The problems, as related to my original post in this thread, have not been solved, at least for me. I still haven't received a response to the support request I sent in many days ago.

Sorry, I meant the other problem that I had a request in on. Since I had mentioned it in this thread, I wanted to note that I was quite satisfied with the way Amazon handled it. I think there may be a problem with their support request system, either technical or procedural, which is being looked into. But I feel much more confident now that they are really paying attention to us here and will get things sorted out.

USMLEWorld Support avatar image
USMLEWorld Support answered
amap12 Our problem hasn't been resolved too. I went out and got a Fire HD to see what the users were complaining about. Lo and behold! they are obviously right. When I browse to our app through the web link, my registered devices show up as incompatible (Fire HD being one of them). To test things out further, we installed our app using .apk file on Fire HD and it works perfectly fine. App also works perfectly using the HD 7 emulator. As you already know, even under "developer" account settings Fire HD shows up as a supported device. My guess is Amazon app store is looking layout files (hdpi, mdpi etc) and making the decisions regarding which app is compatible with HD. Do you have files under "hdpi" folder? We have them only in mdpi. May be we can sort this thing out on our own.