question

Lennie Araki avatar image
Lennie Araki asked

Menu button missing in Option Bar

I was targeting android-10 in my Kindle FIre application (for 1st generation). The "Menu" button appears fine and works properly in the emulator (onCreateOptionsMenu, onOptionsItemSelected, etc work fine). Note my application goes "Full Screen" to maximize the screen real estate for display. I have changed to target android-18 (JellyBean): I want to use newer ICS, JB features in my application but still have the min SDK level set to 8. Herein lies my problem - when the Options Bar now appears there is no "Menu" button anymore! In the emulator if I press the Menu "key" the menu appears fine and works properly. How do I force the "Menu" button to appear in my application when targeting android-15 or higher? Lennie
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Lennie, Thank you for writing. Beginning with Android 3.0 (API level 11), Android-powered devices are no longer required to provide a dedicated Menu button. With this change, Android apps should migrate away from a dependence on the traditional 6-item menu panel and instead provide an action bar to present common user actions. Beginning with Android 3.0, the Menu button is deprecated (some devices don't have one), so you should migrate toward using the action bar to provide access to actions and other options. http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/menus.html
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Lennie Araki answered
I realize that but my app works fine on generic android devices (emulator, Nexus 7 FHD etc) just not on the Kindle Fire. I was wondering how the FIre decides whether or not to display the "Menu" button in the Option Bar.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Lennie, Thank you for writing back. Are you using below code inside your app? activity.getWindow().requestFeature(Window.FEATURE_NO_TITLE); Or in manifest, android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Black.NoTitleBar" I can see that "No Title" feature request in our API 17 devices is showing the menu button in the softkey bar area. I will raise the issue to the right team and get back to you shortly.
10 |5000

Lennie Araki answered
Yes I am using this feature in my app. That's why I expected the same behavior on all Kindle Fire devices but it doesn't work the same on all your devices.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Lennie, I would like to clarify the issue little more. Please ignore my previous post. The issue I pointed out in the last post is no where related to the one you are facing. So you have following defined in your apps manifest. With this definition you are able to see menu button in Nexus 7 but not in Fires - Is that the issue? But only with this is defined in the manifest is not showing the menu button in the softkey area in Nexus 7 for me? Can you share a sample app (complete project) what could demonstrate the issue. Thanks.
10 |5000