question

Sterling Udell avatar image
Sterling Udell asked

Playing sounds when "Mute All Notifications" is on

In the system settings on the Kindle Fire HD (and possibly other models), under Sounds & Display, is a checkbox labeled Mute All Notifications. It appears that activating this options silences [b]all[/b] sounds from the device, not just notifications. I have two apps which have sounds as part of their UI; neither makes a peep when this is on. Nor does the system music player - it's silenced as well. However, Angry Birds still plays its signature tune - so it is possible to override this setting programmatically. Does anyone have a clue as to how? Many thanks, Sterling
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Sterling Udell avatar image
Sterling Udell answered
Nevermind. I discovered that an (apparenty) unrelated piece of code was setting my volume stream to AudioManager.STREAM_NOTIFICATION, meaning that this situation makes perfect sense. I've set it to AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC and it's all good. I still don't have an explanation for why the music player was silenced, but hey, not my problem. So, mea culpa. I'd delete this thread if I could, but this forum doesn't seem to allow that. Sterling
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.