question

JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz asked

HD7 Emulator not working as Device

The HD7 Emulator 1) Includes a Phone App. (This strikes me as just plain weird) 2) The Contact Manager, when you click on a contact's phone number launches the Phone App The Device However doing this, launches Skype if you have it installed. According to the specs, none of the following android.intent.action's are supported, CALL, CALL_PRIVILEGED, or CALL_PHONE But I'm certain it's doing one of the above (likely one of the first two). Why? Because my app includes an intent filter for them, and on the emulator, clicking the contact's phone number causes the chooser to pop up giving the user a choice between the Phone App and mine (as both have Intent Filters for whatever Intent is being launched this is appropriate, and I know what my app is filtering). So whatever intent the device is launching, Skype figured it out and filters it, because they receive the Intent. But it's not happening on the emulator, because it works just like any other Android device. So either the emulator is wrong, or the device isn't documented accurately. Can someone please help me out here? How do you find out what intent is being launched on the device through ADB? All I see happen is a SENDTO to com.skype.raider, but no indication of how it got there... Thanks.
fire tablet
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hadi@Amazon avatar image
Hadi@Amazon answered
Hi Joe, Voice call is not a supported feature in Kindle Fire HD 7'. When you click on a contact's phone number, the Contacts app should fire a SENDTO intent. If you are not getting this behavior on the emulator, make sure you are using the latest Kindle Fire HD 7" emulator. Hope this helps.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz answered
> Kindle Fire HD 7'. When you click on a contact's > phone number, the Contacts app should fire a SENDTO > intent. If you are not getting this behavior on the > emulator, make sure you are using the latest Kindle > Fire HD 7" emulator. Hope this helps. Could you please be specific on what the SENDTO intent is? The Uri for example? I'm not trying to make a Voice Call. I'm simply trying to filter that Intent, but I need to know what the intent is in order to filter it. On other Android Devices it happens to be a Voice Call Intent. If it's not that on the KindleFire, then what is it? Simply saying "SENDTO" is not nearly specific enough.

JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz answered
> Hi Joe, Voice call is not a supported feature in > Kindle Fire HD 7'. When you click on a contact's > phone number, the Contacts app should fire a SENDTO > intent. If you are not getting this behavior on the > emulator, make sure you are using the latest Kindle > Fire HD 7" emulator. Hope this helps. I also did verify that the rev 3 version of the emulator has the same behavior. It now calls the contacts application "People" but clicking on a contact's phone number results in [u]an attempt to make a phone call[/u], In fact, it attempts to launch a [b]phone application, that is pre-installed on the emulator[/b] I really must ask. Why is there a phone app on the emulator???

Hadi@Amazon avatar image
Hadi@Amazon answered
The Contacts app will fire a SENDTO intent as an attempt to send a message (sms) to the phone number that user tap on. The data scheme is smsto and the data uri would be smsto:[phone number as displayed in the Contacts app]. Note that this may contain one or more URL-encoded characters. For example, if the phone number is displayed as "(123) 456-7890" the data uri will be "smsto:(123)%20456-7890", or if the number is displayed as "+1 123-456-7890" the data uri will be "smsto:%2B1%20123-456-7890". You can use URLDecoder to decode the uri.

Hadi@Amazon avatar image
Hadi@Amazon answered
The Kindle Fire HD 7" emulator does not contain People application. You should see Contacts and three other apps when you launch Kindle Fire HD 7" emulator. When you create your AVD, make sure to select the following: 1. Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" (800 x 1280: hdpi) 2. Target: Kindle Fire HD 7" (Amazon) - API Level 15 Or even better, follow the instructions at https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/emulator-guide.html#ConfigKindle for a more complete instructions to create your Kindle Fire HD 7" AVD.

JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz answered
> The Contacts app will fire a SENDTO intent as an > attempt to send a message (sms) to the phone number > that user tap on. The data scheme is smsto and the > data uri would be smsto:[phone number as displayed in > the Contacts app]. Note that this may contain one or > more URL-encoded characters. For example, if the > phone number is displayed as "(123) 456-7890" the > data uri will be "smsto:(123)%20456-7890", or if the > number is displayed as "+1 123-456-7890" the data uri > will be "smsto:%2B1%20123-456-7890". You can use > URLDecoder to decode the uri. Thank you so much, this is what I wanted! My existing code worked perfectly after adding the intent filter definition below: Can I assume this is documented as a proper way to catch attempts to contact a phone number? It seems to be a bit of a kludge to not allow an app to send SMS messages, but to have it be completely valid to *try* to send them.

JoeHz avatar image
JoeHz answered
I thought I had recreated the AVD after I downloaded rev 3 (It said Contacts before but "People" after), but I will try again just to be safe. > The Kindle Fire HD 7" emulator does not contain > People application. You should see Contacts and three > other apps when you launch Kindle Fire HD 7" > emulator. When you create your AVD, make sure to > select the following: > 1. Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" (800 x 1280: hdpi) > 2. Target: Kindle Fire HD 7" (Amazon) - API Level 15 > > Or even better, follow the instructions at > https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/emulator-guide.h > tml#ConfigKindle for a more complete instructions to > create your Kindle Fire HD 7" AVD.