question

mrflexile avatar image
mrflexile asked

Kindle Fire HD 7'' device isn't visible by adb

Hi. I've got a subj problem and my circumstances are quite similar to those described in the post https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=234&tstart=0 but I have PC platform (Win7). The point is in the beginning: after doing all prework from this guide https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html I cannot see my device as "Android composite ADB interface" in the device manager, as it comes in a form of "Removable devices - Kindle". Any help would be appreciated.
fire tablet
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Anshul@Amazon avatar image
Anshul@Amazon answered
The Kindle device will not be listed under "Android composite ADB interface" in your Device Manager. Post successful completion of steps in guide https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html, once you connect your device to your PC you will be able to see "Android Phone > Android composite ADB interface" in your Device Manager and the Kindle will be listed under "Portable Devices". Please run the "adb devices" command from your command prompt and you should be able to see your device under the List of attached devices.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mrflexile avatar image
mrflexile answered
Thanks, Ashul, but I did all the steps from guide https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html, that is the problem that they didnt help. My 1st gen device is listed as "Kindle Fire — Android Composite ADB Interface", but my new HD device is listed as "Removable devices — Kindle" (no other items like ADB Interface are present). And of course "adb devices" shows nothing.

mrflexile avatar image
mrflexile answered
One more exact detail: after completing all the steps from the guide (twice) I can see my Kindle Fire HD just as "Portable device — Kindle" in "My computer" section. The whole situation is very weird...

Anshul@Amazon answered
This can happen for one of the 2 reasons. 1. The vendor id is missing in adb_usb.ini file under .android folder. Please ensure you have Vendor id "0x1949" listed in your adb_usb.ini file. 2. The Kindle HD device driver is not installed properly. To install the driver, please go to \extras\amazon\kindle_fire_usb_driver, run the Kindle Fire ADB drivers.exe, and then follow the instructions on the screen. Please reboot your PC incase the KindleFire HD is not getting detected.

mrflexile avatar image
mrflexile answered
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately: 1. "0x1949" is already presented in my ini file. 2. I have been installing these drivers several times. Yep, since my problem I did reboot lot of times. Maybe I should somehow delete presented drivers in a special way? Because I did it in a usual way but still system treats it not like device with ADB interface. Or can it be connected with my device (any kind of hacks, missing ADB interfaces, modules)?

Anshul@Amazon answered
I hope the "Enable adb" option is turned On on your KindleFire HD device. Also you can try force updating the driver by right-clicking on your device under Device Manager and select the "Update Driver Software" option. Further, select option "Browse my computer for Driver software" and then "Let me pick from the list of device driver" option. This would show you the list of Compatible hardware and also "Have disk" button. Click on "Have Disk" & select your driver to force install your driver.

mrflexile avatar image
mrflexile answered
Yep, option is "On". Anshul, "Let me pick from the list of device driver" option helps — now I can see my HD in device managaer as "Kindle Fire — Android ADB Interface" (i suspect there should be "Composite" word). But still no luck with listing it in "adb devices" list.

Hadi@Amazon avatar image
Hadi@Amazon answered
mrflexile, Can you verify the following: 1. That you have at least one of the Kindle Fire emulator add-ons installed. This is required for "android update adb" to function correctly. 2. That you are using the latest Kindle Fire USB driver (the latest is revision 2 at the moment). If you are not using the latest revision, try the following steps: 1. Uninstall the current driver from Control Panel -> Device Manager and right click uninstall in Kindle Fire -> Android ADB Interface. 2. Update your Kindle Fire USB Driver to the latest revision via Android SDK Manager. 3. Run the installer in /extras/amazon/kindle_fire_usb_driver/Kindle Fire ADB drivers.exe. 4. Run “android update adb".

mrflexile avatar image
mrflexile answered
At last I've got it. I was desperate and tried everything. The thing that helped me was changing driver for my HD device from the list of presented drivers: I changed it from "Android ADB interface" (which was not trusted and I cannot remember where it comes from because I tried so many of them) to simple "USB composite driver" (cant remember exact name). And Kindle Fire changed to "Android Composite ADB interface" immediately. But. Now I've got different set of drivers in the list of available ones, completely different set. Maybe the magic appeared when I dig into ini files according to this guide http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/13/how-to-install-kindle-fire-adb-usb-driver/ because I've done all the steps one after another. I don't know. Anyway, one should be very careful with all these drivers. Thanks a lot guys for bringing my spirit up! Guess in a week or two you'll have our game on your market ;)

Anshul@Amazon answered
That's awesome, this will surely help other developers as well. Hope to see your app soon on Amazon Appstore. :)