question

David Scott avatar image
David Scott asked

4th gen drivers missing

Following the instructions here: https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/ide-tools/tech-docs/05-setting-up-your-kindle-fire-tablet-for-testing "In your Android SDK directory, at \extras\amazon\fire_device_driver, run FireDeviceDriver.exe, and then follow the instructions on the screen." I have downloaded the Kindle Fire drivers from the Amazon repository and apparently have rev5 of the drivers. These do not create a folder called 'fire_device_driver' and there is no 'FireDeviceDriver.exe' file. At the moment I cannot get ADB to work with these new devices.
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Scott avatar image
David Scott answered
Nevermind. If you just browse manually for the ADB drivers you can install it that way.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dryginstudios avatar image
dryginstudios answered
Can you tell me how you manage to setup your 4th gen device with adb ? I can't seem to figure it out.
10 |5000

Amelia@Amazon avatar image
Amelia@Amazon answered
Hello dryginstudios, The exe file name should be KindleDrivers.exe not FireKindleDrivers.exe. So, the text should read:" In your Android SDK directory, at \extras\amazon\kindle_fire_usb_driver, find KindleDrivers.exe and run." This will install the correct driver for new generation Fire devices. The information on the documentation has been corrected as well.
10 |5000

sasangar avatar image
sasangar answered
Hi Briana, I launched KindleDrivers.exe as suggested. I have no problems with my 3rd generation Kindle on Windows 7, with the device listed in the Device Manager as "Kindle Fire/Android Composite ADB Interface". However, ADB isn't able to connect to my 4th generation Kindle (I can connect with explorer, though). The device is listed in the device manager as "Other devices/ADB Interface" with an exclamation mark. Updating the drivers doesn't help, even if I browse to driver installation folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Amazon.com\Kindle Fire\Drivers" manually. My KindleDrivers.exe is the lasted available through the Android SDK, yet the drivers that it installs seems to date to 19 Sep 2013 so they are indeed more than a year old. Is there a more up-to-date version of the drivers? Thanks
10 |5000