question

mac avatar image
mac asked

App sales

Is anyone having much luck selling apps in the Amazon Market? We are only selling <1% of the sales we get from the Play store. I am not complaining. But, I would love some suggestions to increase the sales. Obviously our app is worth buying as sales are good. But why so low here? (Is it the phones defaulting to not allow non-market apps to download?) We have stopped adding apps to the Amazon market due to low sales, and the fact that we have to reformat our images for publishing (can't you have the images like the feature image...ect that same as the Play store?). Finally, could someone tell me if the Kindle Fire has a GPS yet? Many apps rely on the GPS to provide location specific information to the user.
fire tablet
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matthias Peitsch avatar image
Matthias Peitsch answered
I've been finding that paid app levels have been up greatly compared to the Play market due to the more generic nature of our apps. I do feel that the comment system and customer tracking ability for users in Amazon is terrible, it feels like the Amazon market makes developers employees rather than sub-contractors given how little control we have over analytics of the apps or the details and locations of the customers who buy our products.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mac avatar image
mac answered
So your actually seeing more sales on Amazon? Like I said we are only selling <1%

David B. Coyer avatar image
David B. Coyer answered
I'm seeing a huge increase in sales on the Amazon Market compared to the Apple or Google Stores.

Brass Key Software avatar image
Brass Key Software answered
I'm selling about the same amount here as on Play. But it's a lot less than I'm selling at B&N. Not sure if it's discoverability or what. With the number of Fires that have reportedly been sold compared to Nooks, I expected to sell a lot more here.

StephenC@Amazon avatar image
StephenC@Amazon answered
Just out of curiosity - are you selling a version targeted at Fire (form factor = tablet)? Are you using In App Purchasing?

Brass Key Software avatar image
Brass Key Software answered
My app scales properly to all screen sizes. The vast majority of my total sales are to tablet users. No IAP. Until I participated in the Free App of the Day program last month, I was selling literally 20 times as much through B&N as through Amazon. The promotion helped, but even now I'm still selling more than twice as much through B&N.

Roy avatar image
Roy answered
I am also seeing bigger sales through B&N as it is clear that Nook App store is better structured for promotion compared to Amazon App store which seems to promote the same apps and developers over and over again. They do not spread the love around like B&N does and it shows in the sales.

Adrian J. Gomez avatar image
Adrian J. Gomez answered
I also sell more in the B&N store than here. But I sell more here than in the Play store.

Mandisa Washington avatar image
Mandisa Washington answered
I consistently get many more sales via B&N than here or the Play store (nearly 2 orders of magnitude difference), but I think it has to do with the way the free & paid apps are displayed. On the Nook storefront, each pair of free & paid apps are displayed with a single entry, offering a button for purchase and a button for a "free trial". The trial is as limited or unlimited as the developer chooses. I've chosen to make my trial the same as the free version here & on Play - feature-limited but time-unlimited. The app is presented in a unified format to customers - they can try it & buy it all in the same interaction, without having to come back to the store at some later (never!) date and search again for the paid version. I have exactly the same material and upsell dialogs in the apps across the different markets, with only slight modification for some device-specific aspects (camera/no-camera, file storage directory structure, etc.). I can't see any other reason for the vast discrepancy between the percentage of converted users here on Amazon & on Play versus on B&N's store besides the different presentation.

Hammy Havoc avatar image
Hammy Havoc answered
I definitely feel your pain on the reformatting images front. It would be nice there was a standardised system, especially when the Kindle runs on a flavour of Android anyway.