question

simpleinteractive avatar image
simpleinteractive asked

Necessary to recompile existing Android app?

I already have an app in Google Play and would like to release it on the Amazon App Store. I'd like the app to run on the Kindle Fire HD 7". Can I simply go ahead and upload my APK? According to Google's policies, my APK is signed using a keystore, will this also work on Amazon? Is it ok to use the same keystore to sign? I haven't yet seen any info about signing of apps on the Amazon website. Assuming it is necessary to recompile the app, do I have to use Android 4.0.3? I already have Android 4.1 installed and would like to use that if possible (to save disk space if nothing else!) I notice on Android SDK Manager that only 4.0.3 has items Kindle Fire HD 7" etc but what do these extra components actually do? Are they really needed to compile a Kindle Fire app? I do not need to use any Amazon services. Thanks for your help with this. You can see I am pretty confused. Ideally I'd like to convert my app to Amazon with the least number of additional SDK components possible.
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dixith@Amazon avatar image
Dixith@Amazon answered
Hi, Thank you for your post. You should make sure that your app does not include any copy protection functionality (you have the option to apply Amazon’s DRM technology—see our FAQ on DRM). You should also take a moment to understand the different signing options available to you (developer signed or Amazon signed) and choose the option that works best for your users. Please follow the below FAQ guide in support and Troubleshooting section. https://developer.amazon.com/help/faq.html Developing apps simply requires using the appropriate Android SDK platform. 1.)The Kindle Fire (2nd Generation), Kindle Fire HD 7", and Kindle Fire HD 8.9" run the Android 4.0.3-API 15 platform (Ice Cream Sandwich). 2.)Kindle Fire (1st Generation) runs the Android 2.3.3-API 10 platform (Gingerbread). All extra components are not required to compile the app. Make sure to install SDK platform, KindleFire Hd7 under Android 4.0.3 for compiling the app in KindleFire device. Hope this information helps you.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

simpleinteractive answered
Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate that Kindle Fire HD runs on Android 4.0.3 but I was hoping my app would work despite it being compiled against 4.1. In my AndroidManifest.xml file I have which indicates that the app only uses features in Android API 8 (Android 2.2). Therefore it should work fine on both the old Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD. Please let me know if this is wrong... My only worry really is the "extra stuff" bundled with Android 4.0.3 which relates to Kindle. When I open Android SDK Manager, I see the following entries under Android 4.0.3 (API 15) * SDK Platform * Samples for SDK * ARM EABI v7a System Image : * Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) * Kindle Fire HD 7" * Kindle Fire HD 8.9" What do these "Kindle Fire xxx" libraries do? Many thanks
10 |5000

Dixith@Amazon answered
Hi, Please find answers below for your queries. 1.)android:minSdkVersion tells the minimum API level required for the application to run.The Android system will prevent the user from installing the application if the system's API level is lower than the value specified in this attribute. If you do not declare this attribute, the system assumes a default value of "1", which indicates that your application is compatible with all versions of Android. 2.)Android SDK provides necessary tools to develop the Apps in Android. It includes compiler, debugger and as well as its virtual machine to run android programs. If you want to test your app on Kindle Fire Emulators, you should install the corresponding KindleFire libraries(as you mentioned above) . Hope this information helps you. Message was edited by: Dixith@Amazon
10 |5000

1) I understand the meaning of minSDKVersion but I'm not sure you are seeing the significance of this. This value of minSDKVersion shows that my app only uses features from Android 2.2 and none of the more advanced features from later versions. Therefore the app will run fine on a device with either Android 2.3 or Android 4.0.3 owing to backward compatibility. So I think the app does not need to be recompiled and will run on all Kindles..? 2) I have not downloaded these components yet. You seem to be saying these components include a compiler and emulator. I don't think I need this as the "vanilla" Android SDK includes all compilers, linkers etc. I have everything set up under Eclipse so can't see why I would need a separate compiler or even how this would be used by Eclipse in place of default Android compilers (plus Android does not really use compilers as it is based on Java with JIT compilation on the target device -- although my app uses native libraries which I have compiled myself). As for an emulator, I thought that would be done by downloading an additional AVD (Android Virtual Device) so I am surprised this is included in the Android SDK itself...? Anyway, I have gone ahead and submitted the app now. According to my reasoning above it should run fine on all Kindle models as well as on a variety of other Android devices (the app scales automatically to fit different screen sizes). There wasn't any mention of signing during the submission process, other than a reference to Amazon DRM (for which I ticked "yes"). I have digitally signed my app using my own key so I hope this does not conflict with Amazon's signing process..? Anyway, if something is wrong, no doubt I will be told and given a chance to resubmit. Thanks for your help.
10 |5000

Dixith@Amazon answered
Hi, Thank you for submission of your App in Devportal. Your digitally signed app using your own key does not conflict with Amazon's signing process.As per the Amazon Guidelines, Our testing team will review your app and will get back to you if they find any issues in your App.
10 |5000

Thanks for your advice.
10 |5000