question

Martin Finch avatar image
Martin Finch asked

Are we doing something very wrong? Downloads become harder and harder

Hey all. We've been publishing on to the amazon app store for over 1 year now. Initially the downloads were doing great in early 2013. Some average games achieved 500 a day, and some more than 1000 a day (all free games). The in app purchases were also very good compared to google and iOS. It seemed that the amazon app store was the new light since the apple app store had sunk so much in terms of downloads since late 2012. Recently however we've found it harder and harder to get the same level of downloads. And the overall downloads seem to be decreasing even though we're adding more games all the time. Our best game at the moment, Pop The Fruit 2, averages about 200 - 300 downloads a day. Another good quality free game, Kingdom Of Zombies, averages about 120 downloads a day, terrible. Our new space shooter game called Galaxy Clash 2 averages less than 100 downloads a day, and a lot of other games less than 40 a day :S What the heck? Note that all these games are free to download. This is becoming a major concern for us and some other developers I've spoken to. My big question here is 'Are we doing something very wrong'? or 'What has happened to affect downloads this much'?. 1) Are we doing something very wrong? I've checked that we're available on all kindle devices. We've tried a lot of keyword changes to improve ranking which didn't have much effect. We've reduced the number of permissions in the manifest file to be available on more devices. We've tried different icons, screenshots, CPI marketing campaigns, cross promotion inside each game, amazon featured marketing placement. All of these are not having much effect at all. - Are we missing something here? - A setting, a box we forgot to check, download size issue, I really don't know at this point. 2) What has happened to affect downloads this much? I've spoken with some other developers and they are having the same problem. I'm interested to know if others are seeing this problem too. - Could it be that the number of apps is just increasing so much that it's becoming too saturated? - Was there a big rank algorithm change that occurred recently which is affecting downloads? - Was the amazon app store apk updated so that 'new' 'free' 'trending' sections etc etc were removed or replaced? - Is our account selectively being weighted less in the algorithm for some reason? - Are games / apps that include game circle, amazon ads being weighted more heavily? As I said this becoming a major concern for us and it seems as though amazon is just becoming another apple app store where only the top games from big publishers get downloaded and the smaller indie developers struggle. I'm writing this to try and get some information together from other developers. Are you having the same problem? Can you share anything that has worked for you? Or what may have caused less downloads for you? Let me know if there's any other info you'd like me to share. It would also be great if the amazon app store team could chip in here and let us know what we may be doing wrong, or if it's just a crowded market problem. Thanks all, i hope we can figure this out. Martin
amazon appstore
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
This is app specific and should be filed through ContactUs. Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
I'd like to know how you get those downloads, I'm lucky to get 20!
10 |5000

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
I can answer from my current experience:- - Could it be that the number of apps is just increasing so much that it's becoming too saturated? Definitely is a factor. >- Are games / apps that include game circle, amazon ads being weighted more heavily? I just added GameCircle+Whispersync to my app Arrow Mania 2 to get on Developer Select. I have the 500k "Developer Select" ads this month. My downloads haven't changed, literally 1 download a day on Amazon since release last month. Even with 20k+ ads already done, 1 download yesterday (probably generic). > As I said this becoming a major concern for us and it seems as though amazon is just becoming another apple app store where only the top games from big publishers get downloaded and the smaller indie developers struggle. I fear this is too true. I'm looking at alternative career paths myself, going back to contracting and other IT/media avenues, away from game apps. > I'm writing this to try and get some information together from other developers. > Are you having the same problem? Yep, but no just Amazon, iOS is terrible, Google Play is OK. Message was edited by: gmtdev
10 |5000

Martin Finch avatar image
Martin Finch answered
hey gmtdev. thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I just replied to your comment on the developer select situation. We seeing the same issue too. It'll be good to chat with some other devs on here, do you use skype? all the best Martin
10 |5000

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
Send me a message here: http://gmtdev.com/contact/ and I'll add you to my Skype.
10 |5000