question

kevin avatar image
kevin asked

Kindle Fire HD 7 Problem w Android Composite ADB Interface - Device Connect

Hello. At first this may seem like I have not done my due diligence, and am posting a duplicated problem I have seen posted all over about using ADB to connect to a Kindle Fire HD 7' (mine is 2nd gen). I have installed java/android sdks, eclipse, have updated everything, read through countless threads, followed amazon instructions to set up my environment for running apps on my kindle. The emulator is set up and runs. Here is where I am having serious issues: My Kindle, when I started, showed up under portable devices in the device manager. I uninstalled the driver and have tried both the Kindle drivers from extras/amazon as well as google usb drivers. (I also even tried changing the both the google and amazon driver _winusb.inf file to include code for my Kindle [and other kindles]). This is where my problems seems to be unique to the countless thread posts I have read through. The drivers for both methods result in the driver showing "Android ADB Interface" without the Composite keyword. I have manually changed the driver by selecting to locate it myself. The only three options read "Android ADB Interface" each. I uncheck the box for "Show compatible hardware" and two more options appear: "Android Composite ADB Interface Version: 1.3.1000.0 [12/3/2012]" & "Android Composite ADB Interface Version: 1.0.0.0 [8/20/2012]" I have tried both. ADB devices from the cmd prompt still list zero devices. (Yes I restarted the adb server). If I update the driver to let Windows search for it in the amazon or google locations, it always gets (updated?) changed to just "Android ADB Interface". Just to clarify: yes, ADB is enabled on the kindle (under security), and also it allows installation of applications from unknow sources (under Device). Also, I can use ADB with other Android phones on my same setup. So this, I am assuming, is some sort of driver issue(s)? This has been driving me crazy for three days. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it or any links I can try reading. Thanks in advance.
fire tablet
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Kevin, We are sorry for the inconvenience connecting your Kindle device to PC. Please verify that you have gone through below steps. 1. You have installed all required Kindle Fire Device and Emulator Dependencies. https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/development-tools/ide-tools/tech-docs/01-setting-up-your-development-environment#Installing%20Kindle%20Fire%20Device%20and%20Emulator%20Dependencies 2. In your Android SDK directory, at \extras\amazon\kindle_fire_usb_driver, run KindleDrivers.exe, and then follow the instructions on the screen. 3. Connect your Kindle Fire tablet to a USB port on your development computer. 4. From Start, click Control Panel, and then select Device Manager. 5. In Device Manager, under Kindle Fire, verify that the device appears as Android Composite ADB Interface. Then, Open a command prompt window. Change directory to your Android SDK platform-tools directory. Run the following commands and confirm that the serial number for your Kindle Fire tablet appears in the list of devices. adb kill-server adb start-server adb devices If the serial number does not appear after running adb devices, do the following: Change directory to your Android SDK tools directory. Run the following command: android update adb Change directory back to your Android SDK platform-tools directory. Run the following commands: adb kill-server adb start-server adb devices You might have done all these before. If you do not get success to connect the device from PC this time also please follow below steps. 1. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers 2. Locate the device (should be named as "Kindle") 3. Right click -> properties 4. Hardware Tab 5. See all the "Device Functions" appears in the list do not have any exclamatory icon associated, mainly "Android ADB Interface" or "unknown". 6. If "Android ADB Interface" is having exclamatory icon associated (or "unknown" is there), select that function and click "Properties" button. 7. "Change Settings" in new window under "General" tab. 8. Driver tab in new window 9. "Update Driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" 10. Select "Let me pick a list of device drivers on my computer" 11. There should be a list appeared, select "Kindle" , go next to complete the update. You should be able to get success this time. All the best. Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kevin avatar image
kevin answered
Hi bangalore. Thanks for getting back to me yesterday. Per your instructions: 1) Kindle fire device and emulator dependencies installed; emulators run. 2) I ran KindleDrivers.exe 3) Kindle Connected. 4) Device Mgr shows Android composite adb interface 5) adb kill-server, adb start-server, adb devices ---> List of devices attached: none 6) android update adb, check. 7) adb kill-server, adb start-server, adb devices ---> List of devices attached: none 8) Followed something I hadn't tried previous to my post that you suggested. control panel / hardware sound / device and printers *This may be important: The Kindle is NOT under Devices, it is listed below printers in the category of Unspecified That being said, under Properties there is no exclamatory icon associated (or "unknown" is there). Seems to be in working order. I even tried updating and picking to browse for driver software. List of devices attached: none was the result both before and after I attempted that.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Kevin, Really sad. Ok. Try the following. 1. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers 2. select Kindle from Printers or Unspecified, where ever it is now. go to properties->hardware. 3. Do below steps for all "Device Functions" (Android Compost ADB Interface or Kindle) - Select a function - select properties. click on "Change settings" in general tab. - Driver tab-> Uninstall After doing this Windows will start searching for appropriate drivers for the connected device. Wait till it completes. You may even watch the progress and result of drivers installation attempt by clicking on the "new hardware" located in minimized tray area in bottom right of the desktop. If this auto driver installation does not start, you might need to unplug and replug the device after the un-installation completes. See the result to confirm whether Android Compost ADB Interface is installed with the auto detect or not. If it is, then try to run adb command to list the connected device. If "Android Compost ADB Interface" is not installed or adb command does not show the device then you have to try again the 2nd method (1 to 11) I have said in my last post. If you still have the issue, please try to connect it in another Windows machine. If it fails to connect in other PC, then probably contacting Kindle customer care should be the next step. Please let us know where do you reach.
10 |5000

Anthony Rosenbaum avatar image
Anthony Rosenbaum answered
So I have had the same problem. My current Kindle HD is not detected by ADB, I had to manually insert my model's HardwareIDs into the google/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf just to get Windows 7 to recognize the device as a Android composite ADB device. No matter how many times i uninstall, reboot, install, reboot, plug in and test I always get an empty adb list. Thoughts?
10 |5000