question

S.Denis avatar image
S.Denis asked

No back button on FireTV game controller ?

This was rejected because my game, targeted for FireTV uses the back button. Steps to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Play the game. 3.Observe Back button press is mapped to Pause the game. As third party controller does not have Back button,please map the Pause functionality to any other button on the Gamepad so the app supports third party controllers. Reference the Fire TV Pre-Assessment Guide( https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/pre-submission-assessment-guide).
fire tvsubmission testing distribution
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, In order to investigate this issue further we will need specific information about which app in your account is causing this problem. To protect the personal information of developers, we do not discuss the details of specific applications on these discussion forums. Please reach out to us via our Contact Us form ( https://developer.amazon.com/help/contactus.html ). This will allow us to validate your identity and discuss app specific information in a context that will not expose your personal and proprietary information.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joseph Shelby avatar image
Joseph Shelby answered
If the game controller has the A-B-X-Y button set, the 'B' button it seems is the Back button (should report key code 97). However, it does not formally send the Back instruction the way the remote does, so your code will have to explicitly catch that button press and handle it. It probably is no big deal with a native android type app, but it means a bit of replication in HTML5 where 'back' works natively through browser/routing history. I'm still having trouble with mine right now, as I don't have a game controller, so I can't quite figure out the best way to simulate it. I'm going to try working with jquery's event dispatching to see what might happen.
10 |5000

Joseph Shelby avatar image
Joseph Shelby answered
Update: the problem for me actually was the keycode. the game controller specs for Java/native android dev say the keycode should be 97. However, for HTML5 apps, it seems, the keycode may actually be 8. I'm seeing conflicting documents, so I'm just handling both that way now.
10 |5000

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello Joseph, The keycode for the B button should be 8. As our Android FireTV Game Controller Input guide discusses, there are primary and secondary inputs per each of the buttons on the FireTV Game Controller. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/amazon-fire-game-controller-input Which, since the primary B button event is not being captured, the KEYCODE_BACK event is emitted and as such, B would be able to act as a back button within your app.
10 |5000