question

David T. Schaller avatar image
David T. Schaller asked

Major issue with Media Buttons in Unity3D game

Our game was rejected for this reason: Bug Description: App does not make use of Media Buttons for gameplay but still controls the Media Buttons (prevents Play/Pause input of music applications). This appears to be a catch-22. Unity cannot access the Media Buttons (per this: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=3318 ), but apparently Unity somehow blocks those button inputs, so they do not pass through the game to the device. One report is that this is a Unity issue which UT needs to fix ( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/242109-Amazon-Fire-TV-AppStore-for-Fire-TV-denied-due-to-Media-Buttons-Issue ). Is that the case, or is there a workaround? It's very frustrating that there's no mention of this issue until we've done all the work to get our game otherwise working on FireTV.
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Me avatar image
Me answered
Thanks David for the heads up on this. Btw, have you encountered any sprite issues with Unity and Fire TV?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David T. Schaller answered
Dear Me, I'm not using sprites, only 3d models.
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
Thanks David. I posted links in the thread for the sprite issue incase you'd be interested in testing it too.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi David, I have forwarded this concern to the appropriate team. I will get back to you shortly. Thanks.
10 |5000

jhample avatar image
jhample answered
I just played Dead Trigger 2. That is also made with Unity. It also is non responsive to media player buttons. Amazon should not be playing favorites and denying smaller developers for issues that larger companies are getting away with.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
We are looking in to it. Pre-Submission Assessment Guide for Fire TV is updated. https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/pre-submission-assessment-guide 3.5 Media Buttons Test: Press the Fast Forward, Play/Pause, and Rewind buttons. Expected Results: In media playback, the media buttons behave as expected. In non-media apps, the media buttons should not be used for some other function, as this may interfere with the system's ability to control media playing in the background. [b] Note that If your app uses a framework such as Unity, you may ignore this requirement , as the ability to pass key events through to the system is not supported in those frameworks.[/b]
10 |5000

jhample avatar image
jhample answered
Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like we will be heading to review soon then.
10 |5000

David T. Schaller answered
Thanks so much!
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
Yes, thank you :)
10 |5000