question

Happy Nerd avatar image
Happy Nerd asked

NumberPicker -- is it supposed to be usable?

I created a simple screen with two widgets: a NumberPicker and a Button. First, there is no visual indication when the NumberPicker is in focus (maybe I could fix that with some kind of style or event-handling code). Second, it doesn't appear to work in any way that you'd expect. You would expect that clicking up and down (top and bottom of circular control on Fire TV remote) would scroll the number picker, but this merely navigates back to the the Button control. Clicking "select" brings up an OSK for entering numeric values (making the widget pointless). Worse still, when I enter a number and click "Next," it moves focus to the button and leaves and alpha-numeric OSK on the screen (for the Button? WTF?). A number-picker is a great widget for entering a limited range of numbers with a limited input device (such as the Fire TV remote). Is there some trick to getting it to behave in an intuitive manner? Should I simply create my own NumberPicker widget with the behavior I desire? Why does the the system allow an OSK to appear for the Button widget which allows no text input of any kind -- can I suppress this?
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
I am checking with respective team about the issue you are facing. I will get back to you shortly. Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi, There is no support for the number widget as it is heavily touch-based. You are right that using the DPAD buttons will navigate away from the widget instead of actually changing the value. This needs to be custom made. We will consider this as a feature request and might include it in the future release. Thanks for taking time to share your feedback with us on Fire TV.
10 |5000