question

james andresakis avatar image
james andresakis asked

Widevine DRM on fire TV

Is widevine available on fire tv. When I run the following code in our app: mDrmManager = new DrmManagerClient(getApplicationContext()); String[] listOfDrms = mDrmManager.getAvailableDrmEngines(); if(listOfDrms!=null) for(String temp : listOfDrms){ Log.d("DRM TYPE--->",temp); } This is the out put I get: DRM TYPE--->﹕ HDCP plug-in DRM TYPE--->﹕ Playready DRM plug-in DRM TYPE--->﹕ OMA V1 Forward Lock The app Im working on uses widevine and works perfectly fine on the asus nexus player which is googles android tv box.
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

DougM@Amazon avatar image
DougM@Amazon answered
Hello James, For a list of the DRM schemes that are supported by the FireTV Platform, please refer to our Media Specification Guide at: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/docs/media-specifications Which, at the moment we only support PlayReady protected media via the use of the VisualOn OnStream MediaPlayer+ SDK on FireTV.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

james andresakis avatar image
james andresakis answered
Hi Doug and thank you for the reply, I saw that list and figured it might be out of date because from what I can see the flixster movies app seems to use widevine. I thought maybe it was possible to load necessary widevine libraries at run time. Im also pretty sure from some inside info that flixster is not using the visualOn onStream mediaPlayer. Is visualOn onStream the ONLY working solution for drm playback? Thanks, James
10 |5000

Nick Gardner avatar image
Nick Gardner answered
Hi, VisualOn is the only DRM playback solution that is licensed by Amazon for your use. There are other third party DRM playback plugins which you are free to use, but Amazon does not have a licensing agreement with them so you would have to deal with those details. I can't comment on what particular solution flixter is using, but it is possible they are using of the aforementioned third party plugins. Thanks, Nick
10 |5000