question

pb-dand avatar image
pb-dand asked

Unity 5 on Fire TV doesn't enumerate the Fire TV Remote

We are using Unity 5.0.1f1 to create a multi-platform game. To get input into the game for platforms not supporting touch screen, I'm using Unity's Input.GetJoystickNames() API. However, I'm seeing that Input.GetJoystickNames() no longer seems to return anything for the Amazon Fire TV Remote. I do get a value for the Amazon Fire Game Controller. This API used to work in Unity 4.6.x (We've since upgraded to Unity 5). I need to use this API in order to know which controller(s) are currently attached so that I can dynamically assign button and axis mappings (since Unity can map controller inputs differently for different controllers). I haven't checked yet to see if there is a 'default mapping' for the Amazon Fire TV Remote (for example, is joystick 1 button 0 always the center button, even though the remote doesn't appear to be enumerated by Input.GetJoystickNames() ? ). Even if that's the case, our game can't make the assumption that joystick 1 button 0 will always map to the right button for all platforms (hopefully that makes sense). Is anyone else seeing something like this with the Fire TV Remote and Unity 5? =Dan
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Ross@Amazon avatar image
Ross@Amazon answered
The string name for the TV remote is "Amazon Fire TV Remote.” The TV remote will not respond to Amazon Fire Game Controller. Unity return values for Input.GetJoystickNames() are as such: Remote: "Amazon Fire TV Remote" Voice Remote: "Amazon Fire TV Remote" Game controller: "Amazon Fire Game Controller"
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.