question

Me avatar image
Me asked

Game Development with Unity, and Deploying to Fire TV

Hello all. Thank you for reading my post. 1. In the Unity Setup docs ( https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/apis/engage/gamecircle/docs/unity-setup) it mentions the manifest file. Does anyone know where this is? Is it in the game after importing the asset ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11969) or is it in the Android SDK? 2. After generating the API Key, and modifying the manifest (if needed) do we just upload the game, and then search for it from the Fire TV? Is normal practice? Thanks.
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jhample avatar image
jhample answered
Should be in Assets/Plugins/Android Not really sure about what you mean in the second part. Are you asking how to get it on the store? Or just how to test it on device? If you're asking how to test on device just make sure you are connected to the Fire TV wirelessly in adb, then in Unity hit Build & Run. Super simple.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Me avatar image
Me answered
Thank you jhample :) How do we connect wirelessly in adb to the Fire TV from our Win7 desktop?
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
The Build & Run fails :( It reports that the OpenGL ES version is not supported. In Player Settings we have it set to OpenGL ES 3.0, which I really hope is the correct one. Have you encountered this error?
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
In case anyone else runs into this type of error - there are three versions of the "Jelly Bean" Android SDK: API 16, 17, and 18. You need API 17 (at least at the time of this writing) The Build & Run does get deployed to the Fire TV, and starts executing. However, the graphics aren't visible, but I can hear the audio. Not sure what the problem is.
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
A couple of settings had to be adjusted: Resolution: Landscape Left Texture Compression: ETC2 (GLES 3.0)
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
I am little confused to understand your issue. OpenGL version is supported in Fire TV is ES-CM 1.1 Amazon FireOS is installed in the device and that is based on Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean), API Level 17 Please post back if you need any further information. Thank you.
10 |5000

Me avatar image
Me answered
Thanks Sujoy. I thought that Jelly Bean supported OpenGL ES 3.0, but I see that's not the case. OpenGL ES 3.0 is available with API 18, and ES 2.0 prior to that. Fire TV has API 17. Yes? The Fire TV uses the Qualcomm Adreno 320, which based on this article ( http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2013/02/15/another-first-qualcomm-technologies-opengl-es-30-certification) supports OpenGL ES 3.0. There seems to be contradiction here. Android API 17 doesn't support ES 3.0, but the hardware does. Is this correct? Is there another Fire TV update coming out with this feature?
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
I think you are correct that we have the supported hardware but not the software. That's why OpenGL 3.0 is not supported. Though I am confirming from the concerned team here. I will post back shortly. Thanks.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
It depends on what toolkit you are using as for what version is supported on FireTV. If you are using Java in Android, as API level 18 you only get OpenGL ES 2.0. If you use JNI(C++) APIs you get access to OpenGL ES 3.0. In addition, if you use Unity 4.2 and above on Qualcomm hardware, you get access to OpenGL ES 3.0 features, including ETC2 texture compression. I am able to deploy to a FireTV using ETC2 compression in build settings and OpenGL ES 3.0 on our device without build or runtime issues. Have you tried against another Android device running an Qualcomm Adreno GPU , such as our HDX tablets(the HDX 7 and 8.9 also have Adreno processors and do support GL ES 3.0 in Unity). For reference: http://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opengles
10 |5000