question

Gav avatar image
Gav asked

Do I need the joystick?

I'm picking up an Amazon TV unit from Best Buy in order to add ATV support to my game app http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Mania-2-Bow/dp/B00J59PWQY. I'm actually in Vancouver and having to go over the boarder to get it as you don't deliver this product to Canada. My problem is, I can't get hold of the joystick, Best Buy in Bellingham (or anywhere else it seems) don't stock it and as I mentioned already, Amazon won't send to Canada. So my questions are:- (1) Do I need the joystick in order to add joystick support or is there an emulator like say when dev'ing or an emulator app for a Kindle HDX? (2) Is it possible to get a Joystick sent to my Canada address?
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
I just read on some blog that the Amazon Fire TV will "work with any bluetooth joystick", is this true? If so which type: PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360?
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jhample avatar image
jhample answered
Any bluetooth android controller should work. I have also tested with a wired 360 controller.
10 |5000

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
For the benefit of others need a controller that works, read on:- So I now have an Amazon TV unit, I purchased an "ipega BGM0021" bluetooth controller but it doesn't work with the Amazon TV! The Amazon TV does however list a couple of controllers in its "Settings->Controllers->Bluetooth Gamepads->Add Bluetooth Gamepads" menu, these are: Nyko Playpad Pro Mogo Pro
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Amazon Fire TV supports user input from the Amazon Fire TV remote, the Amazon Fire game controller, and other game controllers that support the Bluetooth HID gamepad profile. All controllers must be paired with the device to be used.
10 |5000

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
Just for other people reading this, the "ipega BGM0021" doesn't work, don't buy it. I tried pairing it many times in every possible mode (the ipega tries to support a few for different platforms including Android, iOS and PC). The ipega works fine with a Sansung GS3, just not with the Amazon TV.
10 |5000

Big Daddy avatar image
Big Daddy answered
Hello Sujoy, can you tell me if there are any games that work with the in-box controller instead of the optional gaming controller? Thanks! Big Daddy
10 |5000

jhample avatar image
jhample answered
There are dozens available now. In the app store you can sort by games that require the controller or are compatible with the remote.
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi, Please visit in one any app from the apps targeted for Fire TV (url is given below) and go into the detail page of any app. You must see a list compatible controllers listed for that app just beside the app icon (it's labeled as "Works with:"). http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_mas_5?ie=UTF8&node=7031433011
10 |5000

Gav avatar image
Gav answered
One more update on this for anyone reading it: I have the "Nyko Playpad Pro" and a word of warning, it doesn't stay connected via bluetooth on the Amazon TV! If you don't touch the Playpad alone about 5 minutes it goes to sleep and unfortunately then will need re-pairing via the Amazon TV's controller setup interface. If you leave it plugged into the Amazon TV via the USB cable it stays connected, but that may not be ideal for you. Probably best to get the official Amazon controller.
10 |5000