question

jtpdev avatar image
jtpdev asked

Any simpler example beside the one provided in the SDK?

The FireTV is a great device, and I really like it overall. I have done a lot of dev for iOS and I do have a few Android app under my belt (still more familiar with ios overall). I would like to create a simple app for the Fire TV and one in addition that fits perfectly with its purpose since it is movies/tv shows related. I dig into the example provided and really I am quite surprise on how messy it seems to create a basic app for the FireTV. It seems that it is quite involved to simply do an app that provide an initial 3 or 4 categories choices, and each categories show a list of movie poster thumbnail... Kind of like the main UI for the FireTV. So I am asking here, is there other samples around: or can anyone share some basic sample for doing that? Basically categories and carousel usage Or at least is there a real documentation showing the classes required for creating such kind of app?
fire tv
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi JtpDev, Right now we do not have any official samples available to demonstrate the platform APIs. However, I'm going to forward this feedback/suggestion to the concern team. Please stay tuned on Mobile App Distribution Portal or Blogs ( https://developer.amazon.com/blog/index.html) for any updates related to this. You should find the API details in below links: https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv/overview/developing-apps-and-games-for-amazon-fire-tv https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-tv If you have any doubt or query related to any feature or API, please post back. We will try to help you in no time. Thanks.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jtpdev avatar image
jtpdev answered
Thanks, anything will help... looking at the sample provided in the SDK I can see this is the beginning of what I am looking for but clearly the code was borrowed from some Amazon app since one comment is referencing a "CMS" to provide some id. I think the overall carousel, categories, list, master-details should be part of the Fire TV SDK rather than an example. And it should be simplified for better integration. Right now it is clearly not ready to use for prime time: simply looking at the code where some computation is done to see if something is currently selected and adjust some margins and width is something that the standard SDK should provide In addition such SDK will help a lot the Fire TV ecosystem to adopt a common UX across various app. Right now if you look at apps that provide video related service: Netflix, Crackle, Hulu and other it is more like in Forrest Gump's box of chocolates where you never know how an app will looks like and behave. Consistency is important for a platform adoption
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
Thanks for taking time to share your feedback with us. I will share it with internal appropriate team. Thanks.
10 |5000

24ipieter avatar image
24ipieter answered
I must say I was quite surprised with the state of the UIWidgetSample and how basic it is. I just finished getting a simple Android TV app up and running, based on the sample they offer at https://github.com/googlesamples/androidtv-Leanback, and was expecting something similar to be available for Amazon Fire TV. To my surprise, all there is, is a very basic sample with a very small number of UI elements. Nothing close to a proper demo app. I think it would be a very good step to add something like that to the SDK, to help developers get up to speed quickly. Pieter Siekerman CTO @ 24i ( 24i.com)
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon answered
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. I will forward it to internal appropriate team.
10 |5000

sevtn avatar image
sevtn answered
Any news? When should we expect new SDK bundled with Carousel widgets and related stuff?
10 |5000