question

Peter Steiner avatar image
Peter Steiner asked

Silk and DIV scrolling CSS overflow

Hi Amazon team, to my amazement I found that the various threads on the web discussing the overflow:auto issues of size restricted DIVs to enable scroll bars still apply to the latest Kindle Fire HDX Silk version. Are there any workarounds that enable responsive web designs utilizing overflow:auto DIVs? Any fixes on the horizon? This seems like a pretty serious issue, and Silk sitting at or around sub 1% browser share it is unlikely that we are able to customize the web design for that specific browser. Best regards, Peter.
amazon appstore
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Hi Peter, Sorry for late response. Can you please provide an example to demonstrate the issue? I have taken this case to the internal appropriate team and they are expecting one example from you. Thanks for reporting this.
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Scott Pigeon avatar image
Scott Pigeon answered
I have reproduced this problem. With overflow:auto present, combined with absolute positioning, the content inside the div element will not scroll. It will scroll in every other browser I've tested, including IE5. http://pigeontech.com/silktest
10 |5000

Sujoy@Amazon avatar image
Sujoy@Amazon answered
Thank you for the sample page. I loaded it on an HDX 7 tablet with Silk version: 1.0708.3-Gen6_52111910 and am able to see the div scroll vertically as you do in PC browser like FireFox or Chrome. I tried an experiment with overflow CSS properties different values in W3School's TryIt editor on this device http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_overflow but I still do not see any apparent issues with vertical scroll bar to appear for a div styled with overflow:auto css in above Silk version. Could you please check the version of Silk that you are testing on and provide more information on your observations?
10 |5000