Idea

Tom avatar image
Tom suggested

Fair, consistent content policy enforcement

One of my designs (an innocent parody of the Apple logo) was rejected by Amazon. Being aware that this design might lead to copyright issues, I did some research first before creating it and found plenty of MBA designs that contain and make fun of the Apple logo (e.g. this one). Also, while I did include the word 'apple' in my description (a common English term that cannot be copyright protected), I made sure that my title and description do not violate the Amazon content policy.

When my shirt was rejected, I made Amazon aware of the design I mentioned above and asked them why they would allow this design but not mine. After nearly 2 months, I'm still waiting for an answer while the competitor's design is still up.

As a seller, I find such inconsistency in enforcing content policies annoying and frustrating. A level playing field would not only be fairer, but also make it easier to gauge which designs would or would not be acceptable to Amazon. As it stands, what choice do sellers have but to keep testing the water - which of course means extra work for the (apparently) already struggling Amazon reviewing team.

copyrightprocessing
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

OnceAT avatar image
OnceAT commented

I would vote if I could. Apparently, Merch doesn't want feedback from sellers who have been here a while. Otherwise, they would give out more votes. Really, the only people who can vote are the newbies, and the ones who don't actively participate in the community... Sorry, to hijack your thread, I'm just frustrated with a lot of things about merch right now.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

M avatar image
M commented

Unfortunately/fortunately, defending on your view, Merch by Amazon applies extremely different requirements to its listings than it does to non Merch listings, pretty much anything goes as far as Copyright infringement, Trademark infringement, or straight up theft/counterfeiting on the main Amazon Marketplace. Given that the design you're referring to is being sold by a Merch seller who also sells directly via Amazon Marketplace I imagine the reason it remains is for either one of two reasons: 1) They don't believe it's an infringement and perhaps yours should not have been removed either, but as has frequently happened they've incorrectly removed a non-infringing item and don't want to have to admit that or try and justify its removal so simply aren't replying to you at all, OR: 2) They think that design is also infringing, but given that they are allowing the same seller to sell the same designs on products via Amazon Marketplace they can't justify a way to ban it from Merch while still allowing it to be sold on Marketplace, and so have decided to just let them continue to sell it on all Amazon areas! (Only guessing though)

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.