Idea

xfngrz1mrx avatar image
xfngrz1mrx suggested

Everyone should have the same upload limitations due to unfair advantage

My take on it is that NO ONE should be able to upload. No special few. I also think that limitations to upload should apply to all (only allow 10 a day for ALL creators as an example) - otherwise, higher tiered creators are granted more slots and can DOMINATE niches and trends and get their BSR's way ahead before others who can only upload a few a day. Forget lower tiers jumping on a trend after they upload their few for the day. Also, higher tier will sell designs by sheer numbers because of higher limitations and will continue to tier up - whereas the lower and new creators will have a very long climb to do this. The 60 day removal is against lower tiers too by way that their designs removed is a hardship to reupload in the limited slots along with uploads for new designs. Yes, I'm of the belief (strongly), that 60 days is entirely to soon to remove designs if they haven't sold because it takes time for eyes to see/find (now buried by higher tiers getting their shirts uploaded FIRST in any given niche or trend), and for marketing campaigns to get seen, and now those campaigns will have invalid links. Just because a design hasn't sold DOES NOT make it a bad design in 60 days. I'm watching very closely the posts here and in other groups and it's very interesting, if you pay attention, who is cheering this on - the creators WHO CAN UPLOAD NOW. I think the folks that can upload now, and the higher tiered creators has a HUGE UNFAIR ADVANTAGE on Merch and this isn't right. Please make this a fair business for ALL.

tierupload
10 |5000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Amy avatar image
Amy commented

This is TEMPORARY. Merch doesn't even need to offer this platform so suck it up for the next few weeks until the holidays are over. They are doing this now to ensure a smoother 2017 -- you know, to fix all of the things everyone has been complaining about for months and more importantly, to KEEP CUSTOMERS ON THE PLATFORM by being able to keep up with the volumes to buy your clever little designs once the bans are lifted. Just relax and stop with the tantrums. Its very 3rd grade.

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Where did merch say its temporary ? I guess people who rely solely on Amazon for an income are going to have to move onto a different platform . A big company and some sellers maybe see this as temporary, but for many others, temporary maybe equal and eternity in their wallet. Depends on what your situation is like.

But maybe you can direct me where Merch staff say this is temporrary ?

2 Likes 2 ·
xfngrz1mrx avatar image
xfngrz1mrx commented

Your response speaks volumes and trying to demean me and "my cleaver little designs" and insults shows that YOU are the 3rd grade bully. Higher tiers get 40+ uploads a day 280 a week, and in your scenario, it will take the next few weeks, that's 1,120 new designs a month for ONE creator. That is an unfair advantage, no matter how YOU look at it, plus these creators have the advantage of gaining BSR before others. You probably have the special clearance. You ASSUMED a lot about me in your post, but you have no idea what you are talking about concerning me. If you must debate or disagree, do so in a civil and professional way. You can't be taken seriously otherwise.

2 comments

"clever" was not an insult at all, just the way that I speak. The tantrums part, yes, that was an eye roll and a dig because this is not permanent (I do not know WHO you are so it was not a personal attack against who YOU are as a person...just your rant) -- if they follow suit with the holds in place last December, by early January everything should resume to normal. The higher tier creators push out hundreds of designs a DAY from what I have seen and heard, so they have always been "at an advantage". YES, the holds are not ideal but thankfully is not forever

0 Likes 0 ·

My post was neither a "rant" or "tantrum." Yours was.

0 Likes 0 ·
T-Shirt Design Fan avatar image
T-Shirt Design Fan commented

I'm on the 25 tier and cannot upload but I honestly think it's best. Yes it sucks that people of higher tiers can upload but you have to understand that Amazon has to look at this from a business standpoint right now. They clearly underestimated what they would need for Merch to run smoothly, so now they have to figure out a happy medium to keep profits rolling in but not clog the processing system that seems to be on life support.

I don't like it one bit as a 25 tier person but as a business person I get it. At the end of the day, Amazon is out to make a profit and they will do what they feel is best to keep customers happy and their systems running smoothly.

Many people in the higher tiers earned their right by proving their designs sell. So they have an advantage the rest of us don't. I'm not saying there aren't people who are in lower tiers that aren't cranking out good stuff, but that's just how life works sometimes. Had I joined Merch last year I'd probably be on the 1,000 tier at least by now, but I'm not. Oh well. That's life.

And as far as them dominating trends, I'm not worried. I've found smaller evergreen niches that no one has really touched yet. And because I uploaded other colors, they are selling while black and navy have run out. So they can have the trends while I play in the more evergreen playground.

I know it's frustrating, but I feel it will work out for the best. So take this time and create some amazing designs so you can be ready when they hit the green button again. :-)

Amy avatar image
Amy commented

Sorry I don't subscribe to the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. This is temporary ...as in a few more weeks and Merch doesn't have to give anyone the ability to upload..anything

3 comments

Amy, your mentality of not being able to discuss without throwing shade shows lack of maturity or just mean spiritedness. Okay. You think everyone should shut up and not voice their concerns about the platform they signed up for. noted. I disagree with you as in real corporate business, which obviously you have never worked, discussion of processes and policy is encouraged so that a fair, smart outcome is reached. That is all this is. Your silly statement like you don't subscribe to the "everyone gets a trophy", is shallow and you are not being cool or funny. Try to hold your tongue more and listen to other opinions before blabbing out first thing that enters your head. Try to think about what the message is. It would benefit ALL creators - as it stands, it is NOT fair and no one should be able to upload now to keep it fair - so that the entitled few aren't at a huge advantage of dominating niches and gaining BSR that no one else can do. It's only fair - I suggest giving everyone two or three designs a day until this is over. That would be fair.

3 Likes 3 ·

Your mentality of being unable to accept other views when you post a suggestion shows your lack of maturity.For someone who likes to scold others and make wild assessments you could not be more wrong in your assumptions. I am not being "mean". I don't believe that everything HAS to be "the same" across the board. Especially when there are so many factors to consider.

But I suppose if we don't agree with anyone who submits a suggestion, we are wrong...just like we should "demand" that merch put our feelings first over the benefits of a workstop in place for our Customers benefit...oh yeah, and to the benefit of the fixes they are implementing for all tier sellers going forward over this TEMPORARY hold. They did a similar ban last year. And we lived. And no one whined, because we did not take this platform for granted as it was only 3 months old.

I worked in the corporate world. You have to look at all aspects when you implement something like this -- yes, its painful for some, temporarily -- but long term, it benefits everyone-- the customer experience taking priority. NOTHING that any large corporation like Merch does is rolled out with a lot of thought for the long term, as well as the short term. How it will benefit the consumer, the designers and merch's bottom line. I have faith in them and wish that more people would-- many are acting as if the sky is falling for a temporary ban.

"Fairness" does not matter in the real world. Really, it doesn't and you are stroking out over something that will probably be resolved in weeks, if not sooner.

I am done here, wish you well, hope that people who don't appreciate the benefit of the temporary ban takes this time to crank out designs so they are ready to roll when the hold is removed. Because this WILL benefit and help ALL us this year by allowing Merch the time to keep customers happy, return to the platform, address the OTHER things everyone has griped about for the last year and ensure a smoother 4Q 2017

0 Likes 0 ·

I don't believe that you have worked for large corporations because your demeanor and lack of professional communication would not be tolerated. You lack of control emotionally is ugly. You have tried your best to taint me as a whiner and to "suck it up" "3rd grader" and that I "demanded" and "I'm stroking" (not true) in your replies (be civil) - but you don't or can't comprehend that I respectfully communicated my thoughts, as well as others whom I've talked with, their frustration of letting people, like YOU, unfairly get to keep working and getting an advantage on the Merch platform. You respond to every post as if you are a guru and make statements that you cannot possibly know as if you are speaking for Merch. I find you to be a real disservice to the forum for others seeking answers and help. Please back off and let others voice their viewpoints without YOU bullying them and calling them (me) names trying to suppress me. It doesn't work.

2 Likes 2 ·
Designerjon avatar image
Designerjon commented

I think a lot of this is down to frustrations as I am sure there are MANY lower level Merch users out there with great design that are selling well. I'm one of them and would love to expand on the catalogue of shirts I have. As someone with a design / marketing background and have worked on e-commerce stores, it's essential that Amazon take stock of the situation and the ability to ensure its customers get their items on time. To do this they have selected various content creators to continue uploading with others being introduced on a rolling basis. I am sure this is so they can get a handle on everything during this mental busy time of year. I can tell you that its not all higher levels that can upload and a number of high level Merch designers are in the same boat as openly mentioned on FB groups. I hope it all gets sorted out once the Chrsitmas period is over and I for one can't wait to move forward. Just for the record I am about 7 weeks in with 17 items live and 60 plus sales so onwards and upwards for me. One thing I will be doing as we move forward is to make sure that EVERY design I put out is quality and worth of being in the Amzon catalogue. Enjoy Christmas and lets all see what happens in the new year and good luck to you all.

1 comment

Yep that's the lesson I learned from all this. I will be much more selective about what I upload and during this time, I have probably come up with the best designs thus far during this freeze. I'm just trying to stay positive and hope Merch takes notice of my 300+ sales so I can get off this dang 25 tier. LOL!!! I'm hoping they let us tier up and then also have the daily upload limits instead of not letting people tier up at all. It's gonna work out for the best folks. Hang in there peeps!

0 Likes 0 ·
mimhe avatar image
mimhe commented

For me personally really don't matter, because I have only 25 slots and all are full.

But I agree that is unfair. Let everyone have a little bit, or no one.

Amazon Customer avatar image
Amazon Customer commented

I'm usually very critical of Merch. I'm not one of their usual cheerleaders. But in this instance I think they're doing the right thing.

The software is teetering on the edge of collapse. Its band-aided together and barely running. So starting off slowly after some pretty major work being done is the only way to proceed and I dont suppose they have the time or capability for creating some kind of fairness lottery as to who gets to upload. We should be happy they at least have it under control enough to allow some uploading.

Of course the amazon way is complete silence and lack of communication on what the issues actually are so this is just guesswork. I'm confidant at least that it doesnt look like they're going to close the program down which is how it looked a few weeks ago. I'm guardedly positive for the new year.

1 comment

With respect, I don't believe that. They speak of capacity issues, yet they allow a special few to upload huge amount of uploads into the system. Why allow any new uploads if there is a capacity issue? I just want a fair deal for all creators.

3 Likes 3 ·
Kristi avatar image
Kristi commented

It's a business. Plain and simple. Their focus is (and should be) on getting winning designs up, listed, and FULFILLED without any hiccups. If they cannot do that and take on countless new designs / designers, then they HAVE TO impose restrictions. They are not in the business of coddling you. You are very lucky to be allowed to sell your items via this program at all. Accept the restrictions and take the time to come up with new designs that you'll be ready to roll out once you are given the opportunity to. This isn't a game. There is no "even playing field". It's a BUSINESS and one in which they will do whatever is best for their bottom line.

5 comments

Agreed. People complain way too much.

1 Like 1 ·

Let me guess. Both of you have the ability to upload? Sure.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have the ability to upload, but I haven't uploaded anything in months. I refuse because I want some sort of image protection before I put anymore images up. I'm being robbed blind by thieves.

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments

Nope. I'm on 1000 tier and can't upload.

0 Likes 0 ·
newuser-1dea743b-2c9b-45e8-bdc4-4ee37c97d8bd avatar image
newuser-1dea743b-2c9b-45e8-bdc4-4ee37c97d8bd commented

Especially when you consider the possibility that they may still be allowing copycats to upload while those of us uploading original designs are locked out.

xfngrz1mrx avatar image
xfngrz1mrx commented

I do "hear" others and have "liked" their posts. I appreciate all comments except for the ones insulting me for stating my viewpoint professionally. I did so respectfully without demand but as a "request" to Merch to reassess this unfair ban on creators and our limitations. I still don't understand why if there are "capacity" issues, how they allow a select few, some are smaller but most larger, upload 100's, and in time, 1,000's of designs while others can't at all. Why not limit everyone to just a couple a day? That's fair playing ground. The select few are definitely taking advantage of the market, sales at Christmas (making sure their shirt colors are light), and gaining BSR in our niches. Plus the fact that our listed designs that were selling very well are "unavailable" crippling our sales at Christmas! Also, we are truly handicapped when it's our "turn" to upload our small limitations. Not to mention, these select few are taking over ranks in niches that others worked hard to gain. This is beyond not right and I have strong suspension this is not random selection.

The people that want to silence our plea for change are the very people with the ability of uploading 40+ a day. They state we are "whining" (so disrespectful) because they are making BANK BIG time. They wish this would last forever - it's their playing field. Can you imagine how DELIGHTED they are for being the only ones to be able to upload on Merch with no competition? In addition, their higher limitations are definitely a nice competitive edge too yes? Yeah, they want us to shut up.

But for the record, for the posters that were encouraging, thank you. I appreciate the positive outlook. However, until this is fixed - it's dismal. As I've mentioned before, I appreciate Merch trying to fix problems, but this is not being done fairly.

5 comments

There is no playing field. You and I are not in a competition. I don't know or care what you are doing. And I have the ability to upload and am not doing so. I wouldn't care at all if I were on the list of people NOT allowed to upload. Makes me no difference. This isn't a game. It's a business. And you are extremely fortunate to even have an account (think of all those who don't yet have one!)

1 Like 1 ·

To assume that those who can upload are "leaping for joy" at our problems so to speak, is a big presumption and not fair. You don't know these people. You don't know what they are feeling about the situation. When you think about it, many people at the higher tiers have been around a while. They've had the time to tier up and have been successful. They've paid their dues. I don't pretend to know, but it's quite possible "seniority" is playing a role in the choices that are being made. As someone from corporate you would understand "seniority".

Just because someone from a higher tier asks you to stop complaining doesn't mean they want you to fail. They may just be trying to reorient you to a more productive mindset. Remember, many of them have been successful, so I would tend to at least have an open mind when they speak. I am at the 25 tier and can't upload. But it would be wrong for me to jump on here and demonize those who are at higher tiers who can upload. It was not their choice. Are they benefitting something you aren't, yes. But recognize it's a platform where Amazon makes it's decisions and someday you may be the one benefitting from something that others are not. Would you want them to jump to conclusions about you and your character at that time? no.

I think it would be a shame to waste these forums by creating an "us vs. them" mentality.

1 Like 1 ·
T-Shirt Design Fan avatar image T-Shirt Design Fan newuser-3bd8aa6e-0f6d-4325-bbc1-a5c3da4d96b5 ·

Very well said. And while it's fine to make requests here to Merch, and I don't mean this in a negative way, but I highly doubt they care if it's "fair" or not. I'm SURE they have looked at accounts based on percentage of designs that sell, quality, etc. and they SHOULD. They probably have their favorites and that's fine.

I don't think it's unfair at all that others are uploading. Remember Amazon is a business and they still want to make money. So they are letting a select few proven great sellers upload to maximize profits as much as possible without breaking their delicate system. It's about profits at the end of the day.... not making it fair for everyone.

I know that sounds awful but that's just business. Merch probably has thousands of members and I guarantee the Merch Execs at the top don't care if people in these forums think it's not fair. They have to do what's best for their bottom line from a business standpoint.

I'm on the 25 tier and I'm not upset. Anxious to upload? Yes! Upset? Nah. I'm just grateful to have an account after all the bans and long waits for acceptance. I still think it will all work out in the end.

This is also a reminder to anyone who joins Merch to not EVER rely on the income. I know that's not possible for everyone but it's sure a lesson to me, and it makes me more patient. To those who solely (or mostly) RELY on this income, I can imagine this would be a very stressful time.

Hang in there, peeps! It's gonna work out! :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
xfngrz1mrx avatar image xfngrz1mrx newuser-3bd8aa6e-0f6d-4325-bbc1-a5c3da4d96b5 ·

I assure you it was never my intent to "demonize" anyone on Merch nor have I criticized their "character" and I respectfully reject you asserting that on me...it's simply false. I also don't hold the "higher tiers" responsible for this - it's not in their hands to be in the chosen few. So that is out the door. The point that you miss is I respect all creators and this is why I posted my original post. But for some, that is completely lost but the reality is that I want things for ALL creators to be more fair. I find nothing wrong to voice my opinion as it is the way of doing business. I'm simply stating the truth in this unfortunate situation.

You are right when you said that I assumed that the creators uploading are happy about it. I never try to assume anything. However, I can't fathom a reason why creators would be unhappy about it either. I will refrain from saying that they are "jumping for joy" (which I didn't say -I said, "delighted") - big difference. But the translation is lost which is unfortunate.

Since we have no indication how the creators were chosen, to speculate it is by seniority is a guess with no merit. Who knows? But as someone with a corporate background in large corporations, I also know that if there is trouble, the senior staff is the first scrutinized to be let go due to cost savings for the company. But, that's not relevant in the conversation.

I thank you for your comments and I wish Merch and all creators much success including myself.

0 Likes 0 ·

I did not say that you assumed creators uploading are happy about it. I said that you assumed that they were happy that others were not able to upload. Huge difference.

I appreciate the fact that you and I can voice our opinion on these forums.

Thank you for appreciating my comments. I appreciate yours too and wish you much success as well.

1 Like 1 ·

Write a Comment

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.