A member in this forum mentioned in his post that the Merch program is the Wild West when it comes to copy cats. So to bring law to the west we need a Sheriff hence the idea of a curation department. There are pros and cons to this proposal.
- Immediate identification of copycat artwork
- Identifying poor designs that ultimately diminish the customer’s experience.
- Curator will be able to advise when your title or artwork infringes on trademark. At this point he/she will not be able it identify intellectual property unless there is a duplicate of your submission already on the Amazon site.
- A longer submission period for designs to go live.
- A minimum submission quota to streamline submissions.
- Possible base price increase of t-shirts to cover salaries for new staff.
I am sure there are much more Pros and Cons but the subject is open for debate and review.
I have experience in using a site that has its own curation department and it works extremely well and I’ve never had any issues.