article

Karunish@Amazon avatar image
Karunish@Amazon posted

FAQ's for new ACK Device SDK 4

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, Alexa Connect Kit (ACK) released new resource for ACK Device SDK on the ACK developer console.

What is the Difference between ACK Device SDK 4.x and ACK Device SDK 3.x? Why should I upgrade to ACK Device SDK 4.x?
The ACK Device SDK 4.x is now publicly available on the Alexa Connect Kit developer console. The ACK Device SDK 4.x introduces support for additional smart home interfaces, such as Alexa.ThermostatController, Alexa.TemperatureSensor, etc. For full list of supported smart home interfaces refer supported Alexa smart home interfaces. For products that are in-development (i.e. not yet launched), we strongly recommend that you follow the SDK 3.x to SDK 4.x one-time migration guide to upgrade your development experience to ACK Device SDK 4, which will enable your product to quickly integrate upcoming features going forward.

How can I start using ACK Device SDK 4.x?
In order to use ACK Device SDK 4.x, you need a compatible virtual product. You can create an ACK Device SDK 4.x compatible virtual product through ACK developer console products page. If you have created an SDK 4.x compatible product, you can download ACK Device SDK 4.x resources from ACK developer console resources page by selecting your ACK Device SDK 4.x compatible virtual product.

Why do I need a new virtual product for ACK Device SDK 4.x?
ACK Device SDK 4.x is not backward compatible with previous ACK virtual products and thus a new compatible virtual product is required for using it. You can create a new virtual product compatible with SDK 4.x at ACK developer console products page.

Can I use my newly created virtual product with ACK Device SDK 3.x?
No. Newly created virtual products are compatible with ACK Device SDK 4.x only and thus cannot be used with ACK Device SDK 3.x.

Where can I download ACK Device SDK 4.x?
To download ACK Device SDK 4.x, login to ACK developer console and navigate to resources page. On the resource page, select your virtual product that is compatible with ACK Device SDK 4.x and it will display the ACK Device SDK 4.x download option under Stable Releases.

Can I use OTA to update my customers existing SDK 3.X devices to SDK 4.x?
No. ACK Device SDK 4.x contains some breaking changes that are not compatible for launched devices. Upgrading a device to firmware built with incompatible SDK can make the device unresponsive to remote commands. Please check ACK Device SDK 4 online documentation for notes on compatibility.

Will I be losing features or critical fixes for my launched devices by not upgrading to ACK Device SDK 4.x?
No. ACK Device SDK 3.x is still supported and will continue to receive critical fixes. There will not be any impact on existing launched devices due to not upgrading to ACK Device SDK 4.x.

When should I use ACK Device SDK 4.x?
Please refer to ACK Device SDK 4 online documentation to determine scenarios under which you can start using ACK Device SDK 4.x.

How do I ensure, I am using correct ACK Device SDK resource for my device’s HMCU Application?
The ACK developer console resource page has been revamped to help you determine compatible ACK Device SDK resource. On ACK developer console resources page, you have to select the virtual product and it will display compatible ACK Device SDK version for the selected virtual product.

ack
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Article

Contributors

karunish contributed to this article