question

balan avatar image
balan asked

How to begin developing an embedded device?

Hi everyone,

I´m planning to develop an embedded device (Rasberry Pi with Raspbian Stretch), which is intended to communicate with another device in my local network (technology not decided yet). The Pi will just send a command to that device. After some time of researching I came to the conclusion that i should work with the AVS Device SDK, which I already got up and running.

Now I am not sure, how I should continue, as the documentation is not very helpful for me in the beginning. In my idea I have to develope a skill to recognize my intent and write a program, which recieves that intent, but I´m not sure about that...

What´s the default way in your opinion, how would you do it? Thanks in advance :)

alexa voice servicealexa smart homesdk
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Francis@Amazon avatar image
Francis@Amazon answered

Hi balan,

Could you explain what you are trying to do? For example, is your embedded device going to integrate with AVS, or is your "another device in my local network" going to integrate with AVS.

Skill is a different topic.

But if I can understand the overall picture, I can better help you or direct you to someone else.

10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

balan avatar image
balan answered

Hi Francis,

thank you for your answer.

The idea: I have a device in my network which can recieve TCP commands and I´d like to use Alexa for that. I´m planning to use a RPi with AVS with the Conexant 4Mic Dev Kit to recieve, interpret and send these commands to a specific IP in my local network.

To be honest, I´m not sure how to begin realize this idea. Should i use AVS Device SDK, the AWS IoT SDK or none of that?

Thanks for your answer in advance :)

10 |5000

Francis@Amazon avatar image
Francis@Amazon answered

To integrate your product with Alexa, you would use AVS Device SDK.

AWS IoT SDK is to integrate with AWS IoT Service, which is used to track/change your IoT device's states.

I think they can co-exist because they cover completely use cases.

10 |5000