question

ADG avatar image
ADG asked

Session continuation

I'd like to be able to open an application, issue commands, have a period of inactivity, and have future commands resume that session automatically without opening the app again. It seems like this could be accomplished by trying to route the next command back to the last open app, if the schema doesn't match then the session could end or be halted. You could always ask Alexa to resume from that point on. Maybe the app itself can set a reasonable timeout of how long it should be alive for.
alexa skills kit
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Mehmet Gokhan Sevik avatar image
Mehmet Gokhan Sevik answered
I have asked the same question earlier. Thread: Is there a way to set/increase the session length? https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16995#16995 It is not possible to increase the session length or keep the session open yet... Gokhan
10 |5000

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The Stig avatar image
The Stig answered
As Gokhan said, this currently it currently isn't possible to extend the session length. As for having the App reopen at the next command after it times out, I don't believe this is possible. Once the session closes Echo goes back to it's stock programming. You would have to modify the stock programming so that it would know to open the last app.
10 |5000

J.A. avatar image
J.A. answered
I am having trouble seeing the benefit of addressing this concern via an increase in session timer. Why cant the endpoint developer simply check for previous sessions it has stored for that particular unique user and proceed if it deems a continuation is needed?
10 |5000

Will Strain avatar image
Will Strain answered
Am I the only one who has looked at the example skills(sorry this is not the first post I have seen where the answer was in the examples)? There is an example (scorekeeper) that kind of does what you are talking about, now it won't be able to store everything but you can store some info. It makes things WAYyyy more complicated but it makes sense why it would be that complicated. What you have to do is save the data you want to store to a database (they use DynamoDB) using the user ID as the index. This lets you save info and then call it back later. I am working with it right now to try to do the same thing.
10 |5000

steve_a_edwards avatar image
steve_a_edwards answered

Yes, really need to have a configurable / session time, which can be a little longer.

Saving current session data to a database, and re-reading on restarting the skill is just TOO frustrating for a user. I can understand the reasons for not have an extremely long session time, but currently it is just too short for the type of interactions that I am building. The use of time-breaks in SSML will not be a sensible solution. PLEASE allow a more sensible, configurable session time, even if is only 5 times greater than the current limit!

10 |5000