question

newuser-0a77b426-a9ae-44d8-a29c-25e5b9c78c32 avatar image
newuser-0a77b426-a9ae-44d8-a29c-25e5b9c78c32 asked ·

Skills Builder Error: Error building interaction model When using a Dialog Model ...

I recently went through the PlanMyTrip tutorial that talks about using the Dialog model for filling slots.

I'm now building my own skill and have an intent with required slots. No matter how I structure my slots and their associated utterances, I continually get the following error:

Error building interaction model

When using a Dialog Model, sample utterances for intents cannot contain only slots

First -- that's confusing because the online tutorial video shows utterances that do this very thing -- namely the required slot utterances contain only slots and no other text. But still, I went ahead and removed all utterances that contained only slots. But the problem persists.

So far I've tried:

1. Slot utterances that try to fill only a single slot

2. Slot utterances that try to fill both required slots

3. Intent sample utterances that include both required slots

4. Intent sample utterances that don't include any of the required slots

None of those combinations works. And none of my slot utterances contain only slots. All of them contain other text, for example:

how about {first_word} or {second_word}

and another is {first_word}

And even if I simplify my intent down to just a single slot (all others deleted), which contains just a single utterance, it still fails. That utterance is:

the word is {first_word}

I always get the same error that tells me I cannot have utterances that contain only slots. Why? This feels broken as I don't have utterances that contain only slots.

Amazon people? Is this a bug?

alexa skills kitintentsslotsdialog model
10 |2000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

newuser-0a77b426-a9ae-44d8-a29c-25e5b9c78c32 answered ·

I found the issue. This error will occur only if the following two criteria are true for your skill:

1. You have one intent which has an utterance that contains only a slot and not other text.

2. You have another intent, different from #1, which has required slots and uses Dialogs to fill them.

Only if both are true will you get this error. Strangely, if you skill only does #1, or only does #2, you will not get this error.

And for #2 -- there's no need for the required slot utterances to only contain slots. Even if those utterances always contain other text will you get this error.

What's more, the error indicates the error is with the Intent that uses Dialogs, and that's not really the case as you've got to remove utterances from other intents to get past this error.

1 comment

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

This a known current limitation with implementing dialogs. As highlighted in the comment above, intents with dialogs are not compatible in the same language model as intents that have a sample utterance that contains only a single slot (no carrier phrase). Additionally, while it is noted for item #2 that the slot samples do not explicitly contain the single slot variation, it is already implicitly included in the dialog model. This means that when specifying slot elicitation samples, whether or not you include the "{slot}" variation alongside "i want {slot}" and "add {slot} to my list", the dialog model will build with "{slot}" in the background.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jonathan avatar image
Jonathan answered ·

You got a screenshot or possibly the dialog model itself you can share?

Feel free to blur out any of the screenshot that might be private.

This might be a silly question, but have you clicked the "plus" next to the the box you've entered the utterance into, to actually add it? That's something I forgot to do before.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I did add the utterance, and can see it in the code editor. Here's a screencap of the Intent and required slot.

intent.png (69.0 KiB)

Jonathan avatar image
Jonathan answered ·

Well, everything looks OK to me. That's really weird. That said, Alexa was behaving oddly with me this morning (using eu-west-1 region), but I thought it had been fixed. Is it still doing it? Do you know about the Alexa slack channel? It's very active with developers and even people from Amazon on there. http://www.alexaslack.com/

Still happening. And something definitely seems broken with either the Alexa model engine or the Skills Builder Beta.

This is pretty much doing exactly what the Plan My Trip tutorial is doing.

I've joined the Alexa Slack channel, but no people are there unfortunately.

So -- I just repeated all the steps from the "Plan My Trip" tutorial video VERBATIM and yet I still get this error.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9egDifCNu8

And just for the heck of it, after I saw the error, I went ahead and removed all the utterances that contained only a slot placeholder. And yet I STILL get this error.

WTF AMAZON?

Jonathan avatar image
Jonathan answered ·

That sounds really frustrating. I wonder if it might be worth making a quick screengrab of a "from scratch" basic Alexa dialog, so we can see exactly what is happening and when?

This is EXTREMELY frustrating, and I think it's going to cause trouble for any developers looking to add Dialog-based interaction to existing skills.

Here's the scenario: A developer has a working and published skill that uses utterances that contain only slots. This works today. Now the developer wants to update the skill, and add a new intent that uses the Dialog interface. Developer follows the "Plan My Trip" tutorial exactly. And Boom. Developer hits this error. So developer double checks that none of the utterances used by their new Intent have only slots. But none do.

So finally, developer decides to delete the Dialog-based intent and just give up on this idea and stick with what works.

AMAZON PEOPLE: IS THIS A BUG?

KAIYIN@AMAZON.COM avatar image
KAIYIN@AMAZON.COM answered ·

Thanks for all of the discussion and feedback about the dialog model. We’ve submitted the feedback to our product team and asked them to prioritize the fix for this known limitation. For now, consider the workaround of reverting to the non-beta builder to unblock the development of your skill.

1 comment

Has this been fixed? It certainly still does not work with AMAZON.SearchQuery. All I want to do is ask the user "what word are you searching for?" and they give a one word answer. Not "I am searching for the word xxx". Complaints about this go back to at least May 2017.

0 Likes 0 ·